camo paint finish

bushwhacker

What is the easiest way to do a camo paint finish . Say with 4 colours. I have the use of a compressor, spray gun, and sander.

The vehicle will be used as an off roader and possibly on road back up.

I do,nt really want to get in to hours and hours of prep work but would want it to look half good. Would it need an undercoat. Will this colour scheme be easy to recover the inevitable scratches. The way some of the guys can get a camo finish to look like it all came from the same paint pot is mighty. Can it be done easily or with a small amount of time and effort ?

Four colours, what nationality/pattern were you you going to copy?

Can't think of anyone that uses 4 colour. The most common is the standard NATO 3 colour (green/brown/black). UK is just green/black but is a different shade of green. If you really want to be different, try Berlin Brigade cammo (version of it is now used by Phillipines) but this does take huge amounts of effort

Cammo paint is usually supplied matt or satin, the matt covers a multitude of sins but scratches easily, satin is easier to keep clean. Minimal prep needed, no primer. Spray (or use dirty yard broom for that authentic look :D ) whole vehicle green and apply patches of cammo over that.

Genuine paint is expensive (£35 - 40 for 5l) although I've usually done the black on mine with blackboard paint or a couple of cans of spray. I have heard of people getting paint knocked up in B&Q before now.

Ok what about satin black base with red, orange and maybe yellow laid on top. By the way this is going to a my RRC and not my LW. I just thought the military section was the best place to ask about camo.

The LW will be kept standard apart from the engine. It has a duff 2.4 or 5 VM in it. I have a replacement VM to put in. What rims would a LW have had in military use. It has wolfs right now but I do,nt know if these are right they look good on it. Are left hookers worth less than right.

Ok what about satin black base with red, orange and maybe yellow laid on top. By the way this is going to a my RRC and not my LW. I just thought the military section was the best place to ask about camo.

The LW will be kept standard apart from the engine. It has a duff 2.4 or 5 VM in it. I have a replacement VM to put in. What rims would a LW have had in military use. It has wolfs right now but I do,nt know if these are right they look good on it. Are left hookers worth less than right.

Lightweights would have had standard SWB rims with 6.50x16 Goodyear xtra grips. This rim restricts the tyre sizes you can fit I think. The wolf rims are fine if you're not worried about total originality.

Standard swb rims are these the same as standard lwb rovers. I have std 110 rims with 7.50*16 although the LW has 205*16 BFGs tires now. I do,nt mind a bit of unoriginality and its nice to know what can and can not be swapped over thats what rovers are for and off roading.

• 7 months later...

Early Lwts had swb rims (5J) with 6 or 6.5 x 16 tyres. Later ones had lwb (5.5J) rims with 7.5 x 16 tyres. Often swapped for 205/16 radials as they are broader, quieter and easier to source. Wolf rims and modular all fit and are wider if you want bigger/wider tyres. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
all four corners should be in black here is my old Hybrid and i have painted a few Military wagons in my time :rolleyes:

DSCF0958.jpg

DSCF0959.jpg

DSCF0961.jpg

and here is a works wagon.

para011.jpg

Right you've sold it to me!

I was going to spray it all nice and shiney. . .

i like the sound of a few beers, a couple of mates and some brushes!!!

Wheres the best place to get paint from & would you advise some tins and brushes or some cans of spray paint?

- i like the matt look abit better than the satin jobbie!

cheers

I would say the best way is just to trawl Goggle images and put in "camo land rover" or such like and you will be surprised at what pops up. Or if you do not want it to be spot on then then get a bit creative with the brush as the good thing with Nato paint is if you don't like just paint over it again.

What is the easiest way to do a camo paint finish . Say with 4 colours. I have the use of a compressor, spray gun, and sander.

The vehicle will be used as an off roader and possibly on road back up.

I do,nt really want to get in to hours and hours of prep work but would want it to look half good. Would it need an undercoat. Will this colour scheme be easy to recover the inevitable scratches. The way some of the guys can get a camo finish to look like it all came from the same paint pot is mighty. Can it be done easily or with a small amount of time and effort ?

i say go with the four colour skem and get ahead of the time over the next few years the army is changing all there cam to tri and quad colours anyway ;) ;) ;)

and after painting loads of vechiles sand then back and watching the bloke paint them i would say get the kids to do it

i say go with the four colour skem and get ahead of the time over the next few years the army is changing all there cam to tri and quad colours anyway ;) ;) ;)

and after painting loads of vehicles sand then back and watching the bloke paint them i would say get the kids to do it

Were did you hear that?? :ph34r: as far as i know now all vehicles will be plain Nato green or Sand, any info on that would be good Herp as it sounds pretty interesting :unsure:

Were did you hear that?? :ph34r: as far as i know now all vehicles will be plain Nato green or Sand, any info on that would be good Herp as it sounds pretty interesting :unsure:

just wat herd being passed around while we were out in afghan

desert is going to stay the pinky sand colour as i metioned in anougther thread it bend the light at dawn and dusk to hide the vechles from a distance of 200m or more

but as far as i herd in afghan they will be opting for tri/quad cam on all other so they can be deployed anywhere same as our uniforms if it ever happens lol been saying this for years maybe this is on tthe same piece of paper as the mercs coming in going to happen but noone knows when this maywell be just for units who will be more rapid deployment or a selection with in the new holding system

but as always roumer control ;) ;)

• 3 weeks later...