catches for drawers... like MSS store drawer

Mark

Chaps,

I have been looking around to try and get hold of some catches similar to the ones MSS use on thier Store Drawer in order to make my own drawers.

So far the best price I have found for the catches is in the region of £40 for the stainless lockable ones, which I have to admit seems kinda pricey to me. :o (it does go some way to explain why store drawers are so expensive though)

Anyway, I think I have found a source of the stainless catches, witout locks, for about half the price I have been quoted, if I get them from the states. this includes the shipping.

They look like this:

640L6803.mdt.jpg

This is what they look like in MSS's StoreDrawer, to give an idea of the size:

drawer.jpg

I am planning to get a couple for my own use, but would any one else be interested in a catch or two at that price?

Need to know in the next day or so if you want any....

Cheers

Mark

Yep, These are Southco catches. Problem is they only deal through thier distribution network in the UK, and the best price I have had from a UK distriubutor is around £40 each for them in my hands.

If you have any good K sources, then I'm all ears :)

i've been looking for locking handles too- perferably compression latches. Best supply i have found so far are either http://www.zygology.com/ or for uk produced items Protex who are a manufacturer.

I'm looking for a pair of latches.

if anyone is looking for heavy weight full extension sliders then SDS london seem to have a nice selection. I haven't been able to find anywhere that supplies more than 160kg rated full extensions sliders. if anyone knows of any then please let me know.

Chris,

Good links - I hadn't found those, but neither have the paddle latches that I would like ideally. MSS list them on thier accessory list, at £40 per latch.

Jim,

Zygology are the only people, other than MSS, that I have managed to get a price out of. Again they work out at just over £40 each for the stainless ones.

I am planning to use Accuride 75kg rated extension sliders, mainly cos thats what I have.... 2 Drawers side by side in the back of a disco with more than 75kg each is going to be pushing it anyway, so that seems like plenty to me. Why do you need more than 160kg rated runners?

Are you interested in a pair of latches? I wasn't looking to order more than 6, so if Jim wants a Pair, and Pete is after some, I will go ahead and order them.

Cheers

Mark

I figure the cost of sliders is such that you might as well go for overkill on the drawer sliders- weight can add up very very quickly once you have some socket sets, spare oils etc etc. Then you open a drawer and someone rests on it etc etc. I can easily see going over the 160kg limit. Also the rating reduces quite quickly when you increase the space between the runners- one of the manufacturers i came across listed a halving in strength when the runners were 70cm apart (that's not exact as i can't find the link, but you get the idea).

As to latches, don't order any on behalf yet as i'm not 100% what style i am looking for. I don't think i will be going with paddle latches , it's more likely i will use compression latches so i can ensure the drawer is sealed shut!

I haven't been able to find anywhere that supplies more than 160kg rated full extensions sliders. if anyone knows of any then please let me know.

This place sells the full range of Accuride slides and brackets - Components Direct

The 9301 range can support up to 227kg (per slide, I think) and are available in lengths up to 1.5 metres. These and the 9308 range are what are used for vehicle equipment drawers, battery tray pull outs, storage compartments, etc...

I've used Components Direct in the past to buy some short (12") 9301 slides (SBB103-BZP) and 634 mounting brackets (SBA023-BZP) which I'm using to make a pull-out dual battery tray in the N/S jerrycan locker of my 110 (when I get a round tuit :lol: )

Paul.

post-264-1197441713_thumb.jpg

I expect he wants to put his tent in the drawer. :P

Got any more of those runners Mark? I need ~500-600mm.

Chris

Just to give you an idea of pricing.

I found the same stainless latches with locks in a local merchants shop in Sharjah for approx 16 quid. Made in Taiwan but very good quality. I've had mine on for over a year now and am very happy with them.

Picture just about shows one of them on my home made drawers.

The slide out runners are also available locally for about 20 quid a pair. Rated at around 120kg per slide. The load rating is obviously over the top but the larger the load rating...the more robust they are made and should be able to withstand constant vibration etc. I've seen a couple of mates in our local club use lesser rated runners for their drawers and they literally shook apart after a few months use. Go bigger for a more solid construction is my advice.

I've seen the lovely German made ones selling for 5 times the price...but I honestly couldn't work out why I should pay those prices when I can get the same product results for much much less?

I've since made a slide out draw to mount my Engal onto. When loaded with food and drink the fridge & contents weighs around 70kg.....the Taiwan sliders work a treat!

S

The 9301 range can support up to 227kg (per slide, I think) and are available in lengths up to 1.5 metres. These and the 9308 range are what are used for vehicle equipment drawers, battery tray pull outs, storage compartments, etc...

I've used Components Direct in the past to buy some short (12") 9301 slides (SBB103-BZP) and 634 mounting brackets (SBA023-BZP) which I'm using to make a pull-out dual battery tray in the N/S jerrycan locker of my 110 (when I get a round tuit :lol: )

Paul- what do the mounting brackets actually do?

Paul- what do the mounting brackets actually do?

The mounting brackets are angle brackets that give you more mounting options for the slides than the traditional vertical drawer mounting. They allow you to mount the slides to the floor, or mount a flat tray to the slides.

These pictures explain it better than my words -

634Brackets.jpg

634BM.jpg

634SM.jpg

I've bought two pairs of brackets to use with a pair of 9301 slides to bottom mount my dual-battery tray to the floor of the N/S Jerry-can locker.

For example - You could use a similar mounting arrangement to make a slide-out base for a fridge or tool chest.

Paul.

I built two sliding drawers for the discovery, earlier this year, and spent ages searching for components.

Latches: I got two stainless steel locking paddle latches, very similar to MSS's from here: http://www.faparkes.co.uk/

They've changed their website since I bought mine, and I don't think its as helpful as before, but my latches cost £15 each, a worth while saving over the competion.

Sliders: I chose the accuride sliders, that suited my length and weight spec's. I got ones that lock out, so that the drawer doesn't close itself if the cars parked facing down hill. I think mine were 559 long, 100% extension, 100kg, lock out. I scoured them from: http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBr...mp;cacheID=ukie they weren't cheap, but the cabinet maker that helped me make the drawers said they were worth the money, and they've take a fair bit of abuse so far.

Buzz.

I haven't got any close up pic's of the drawers, but I have got a couple of them in use this summer, if that helps.

Pyrenees20070161.jpg

Pyrenees2007026.jpg

If you'd like any close ups just let me know, and I'll see if I can get down the workshop to take a few.

Buzz.