Belgium national....

Mark

I am currently sitting in a small B&B in Vrasene - a smallish village outside of Antwerp. The likleihood is I will have to make several more trips to this part of the world over the course of the next few months, so I go thinking about what events might 'coincide' with my business trips out here...

The obvious one is the belgium National, but it would appear that I am about a year too late to think about that, so does anyone know if there are any events to replace it? or if there is any other good belgian off roading to be had??

Cheers

Mark

There was a Belgium National this year but a much smaller event. In these times of one Europe, political and cultural union etc., it was restricted to non-UK entrants only. I know that a few (2 or 3) British did attend, invited to make up the numbers when there were not enough locals to fill the event. Seems it is a closed shop for now.

More generally, there seem to be lots of off-road clubs in Belgium with a large following. Mostly 4x4 clubs rather than Landrover specific. The beer is excelent. :)

Chris

hi,

I don't know if there will be an other goodwill this year. last year had a lot of problems because the organiser didn't had the permissions to organize it.

there is also the LROC event that is near to Wavre. nice one-day event in the sand.

and the Cherimont castle, near to Namur, will propably re-open. this i a really nice terrain, but it's best to have a winch there ;)

hi,

I don't know if there will be an other goodwill this year. last year had a lot of problems because the organiser didn't had the permissions to organize it.

there is also the LROC event that is near to Wavre. nice one-day event in the sand.

and the Cherimont castle, near to Namur, will probably re-open. this i a really nice terrain, but it's best to have a winch there ;)

Oh Marc your a hero!!!! when abouts did you get the info about Cherimont? as the last info we got in Germany a few month ago was that it wa shut fro unforeseen time.

i cant wait to get back to 'chateaus scrap' as we call in in Germany for obvious reasons...hehehe

please keep me posted!

JJ

To be honest I wouldn't bother with the Belgian National ever again. I went to the 2005 event and once was enough!

I think that anyone with half a brain cell could see that our entry fee's were paying for the marquee in the quarry where the fireworks were held and we weren't allowed into the said marquee. The blighters!

This marquee was for all the owners of shiny new Range Rovers etc. but as there isn't much margin on a new car and taking the cost of the fireworks etc it was pretty obvious that our entry fee's was being used to subsidise the fat cats.

They had the marquee and I was paying for it. No if's or but's we were ripped off it is as simple as that!

Bruno de neef Sanval or whatever his name was mugged me like a kipper but only the once!!

Now they won't let us even go there. So much for the EU etc. The quicker we get out of the EU the better in my opinion.

Quote removed edited by white90

It is my understanding that LandRover Belgium (as well as others) sponsor the event. Seen their logos on the stickers? I understood that they paid a large sum for the National as well as paying for the entertainment of their dealers and customers as a part of the National - a dealers jolly I guess.

No profit in new cars? If it is true that a Defenders costs more to make than a top spec Range Rover then that cannot be true. Added to which, have you seen the cost of servicing a Range Rover?!

I also understand that the Belguim National have to pay for the sites as well as making payments to keep landowners and farmers sweet. Of course, I could be wrong - do you know better?

Even if Neef de Sainval does make a profit, he and his team must put in a lot of work ahead of the event - having organised a one day treasure hunt for 12 cars I know just how much. I would not begrudge him a few euro for all that work!

Chris

Let me assure you that i don't mind someone making an honest and fair profit from me.

Let me also assure you that the bottom line is that ultimately the average working guy in the street pays for everything one way or another.

Bruno boy definitely ripped everyone off by using their entrance fee money to provide all the jollies for the fat cats.

I quickly added up the fat cats versus the rest of us and it was obvious by the sheer volume that we we're paying.

Ask yourself a couple of questions.

How come the fat cats jolly just happened too be on the same weekend as the Belgian National? I mean if the English are paying for it then we don't have to do it all again on another weekend do we?

If the dealers were paying for it why not let everybody into the marquee?

No, sorry, I have a sixth sense when it comes to figures and expenditure and the figures didn't add up.

We were fleeced by some crafty hairy bottomed conman. TRUST ME

No, sorry, I have a sixth sense when it comes to figures and expenditure and the figures didn't add up.

Think your sixth sense maybe failing you,, I know the time and effort, that goes into a event of this nature, a profit ?? maybe,

I for one would go again, just like the rest for a usually oversubscribed event, so i am not alone :)