Gearbox swap ?

Les Brock

4 speed manual to 4 speed Auto on V8 carb....firstly can it be done :D

Removing one tommorow from 3.5 efi E Reg IIRC.....if its easy'ish to do :lol:

Already got the shifter and cable etc, need to drill out and have the top top plate off the transmision tunnel

so if I get the gearbox mounts

box itself

transfer box

dipstick

oil cooler pipes

inhibiter switch

torque convertor

plates from the back of the engine

owt else ???

Anything I need to know with regards removing it.....any special tools that I'm unlikely to have ?

How long "should" it take me <_<

Ta !

Sorry for rushed post got to go delivering calenders to customers :(

Assume you got the bellhousing with the gearbox.

You didn't mention the gearbox oil cooler. Also when you mention 'plates from the back of the engine', you will need the flywheel and flexplate plus the boss and spacers (you will see when you remove it).

Hopefully the engine you are taking it from is carbs as well, 'cos you will need brackets for the kickdown cable to fit onto the SU's. They fit into the hens teeth category.

Just make sure the torque convertor is properly seated and have a big bucket to collect all the transmission fluid - there is lots (imperial measurement :D )!

Time depends on what manpower, machinery, hoists, ramps etc. you have available. I would say allow at least half a day (4-5 hours) for removal if you are on a drive and being careful (rather than just 'dropping' it out). No special tools (apart from hands like ET to get the belhousing bolts out).

Good luck.

5 speed manual and 4 speed auto props are the same, assuming same transfer box.

However Les says he is replacing a 4 speed manual and I'm not sure those props are the same, I might be wrong though :unsure:

Hi Mark, how's it going?

How right you are, I missed that snippet. 4 spd props are different to 5 spd, not least in the size of the uj's journals

Well, I'm back.......

Had the props anyway just in case ;)

But........

Notice there's alway a but..........

Once I removed the flexplate and ring gear, the other bit that bolt onto the crank with 6 or 7 recessed allen bolts.....refused point blank to move, even with a 1/2 inch socket with allen bit in it :o ............

So did I need it :huh:

or are they all recessed :unsure: , or do I have to make a long trip there with re-enforcements to get the thing off, as obviously if the one on mine, once I remove the 4 speed (not the original engine that is only find it has normal headed bolts to fit the clutch pressure plate to :ph34r:

Looks like I'm back in the V8 team.......Must admit I never enjoyed the Hybrid as much as when it was a V8....just no grin factor with the 200tdi .....so this'll get it back.....might regret it at the pumps though :hysterical:

So if I need this bit anyone got a spare to save me a trip.....pweety pweeeze ! :wub:

Looks like I'm back in the V8 team.......Must admit I never enjoyed the Hybrid as much as when it was a V8....just no grin factor with tha 200tdi .....so this get it back.....might regret it at the pumps though :hysterical:

Welcome back Les, :D

Went back at cold o'clock this morning and got it off, broke two 1/2 inch drive Allen sockets getting it off :o

Gawd knows what thread lock they used :huh:

Just as well I did as well, as there was a spacer on there as well :rolleyes:

Cheers chaps :D

Yup, they are v.v.tight. The measurement for the spacers/shims required (various thicknesses) and that you found is based on a measurement from the back of the flywheel to IIRC the block casing. It is detailed in the Rave manual. Having said that it doesn't seem to corellate to the distance between the flexplate and torque convertor (before bolting up) which can still be well off the, circa 2mm, recommended gap.

I must admit I found it odd that these shims allow for very fine adjustement yet the tollerance in the end float of the TC seems quite large. I just fitted everything from the old engien to teh new one and it all went together fine giving an appropriate end float on the TC.