2007 model defender won't start again

i Have heard about this and that LR were bringing out a revised sump from Oct 07, but cant remember where i read it. anyone else know anything about it.

Plus does it only effect LHDs? arent the props and sump in the same positions on RHD and LHD.

It's RHD in South Africa anyway :P

Mo

You seem to have been rather unlucky with this one.

Can't you back it and get another ?

I thought they had to be fit for purpose or something....

Richard

i have thought of getting land rover to take it back but i am sure that the new one they replace it with would not be much better

than this one. i had a few problem with my last td5 after about a year they had all been fixed it ran ok after that

so i hope in about 12 month or so that all the broken bits would have fell off or failed and thrn it would be ok after that

dan

i have thought of getting land rover to take it back but i am sure that the new one they replace it with would not be much better

than this one. i had a few problem with my last td5 after about a year they had all been fixed it ran ok after that

so i hope in about 12 month or so that all the broken bits would have fell off or failed and thrn it would be ok after that

dan

Well my one has been great. Done 5,000 miles in the 90 now in about 10 weeks and still no faults....

Even put some small simex on and went trialling today. Man, that traction control is handy. :) (and allowed which axle diff locks are not)

So they are not all the same.

Richard

Well my one has been great. Done 5,000 miles in the 90 now in about 10 weeks and still no faults....

Even put some small simex on and went trialling today. Man, that traction control is handy. :) (and allowed which axle diff locks are not)

So they are not all the same.

Richard

True, I'm about to book mine in for service - I've now done 11,380 miles and haven't had any major probs apart from the warped discs. My TD5 went back to get niggles fixed and then gave 90 odd thousand miles of use so I'm hoping for the same this time.

• 4 weeks later...

RE: Sump problem.

Thought I'd add my voice to the sump problem. I got me one of those two. Same as others (aulro.com has a good set of photos from someone else in Technical Chatter Att: 2007 Defender).

Was not doing anything extreme and stock car (LHD 90 CSW) almost right out the box (well, off the boat). Oil light not coming on didn't help and is now in getting a new turbo (and sump)......allegedly is all being done under warranty.

I've done some googling on this and if you look for Dual Mass Clutch Faults on the Ford Transit you will find no end of information on it, unfortunately it looks like this problem may have also have been inherited by our new Defender's.

Look at the statement on the bootom right of this page.

http://www.autoelectro.co.uk/bulletins/AE%...bulletin-08.pdf

Are there any Transit drivers out there that no (experienced) any more about this issue?

Rich....

I owned a Transit for 3 years from new 53 plate . In that time i had 2 flywheels , 3 gearboxes , and a problem with the crankshaft sensor that took 6 months to sort out , the pick up came loose and it would just cut out, wait a while and off you go it only got sorted because it did while in for a sevice .

I would never have one again ..

Paul

• 1 year later...
out side asda with all the xmas goodies in the back. thick freezing fog all loaded off we go won't start again

turns over half a turn and jams up tryed loads of times half a turn only

after ringing land rover i try again starts up <_<

any idears

its had a new clutch last week

starter motor us ?

dam thing on call over xmas getting very fed up now

dan

sounds like an imobliser fault, as for the flywheel this engine dose not have a dual mass one it is solid,

It is "the immobiliser fault" - as far as I know there isn't a cure though, just put up with it :rolleyes:

Aha, I've had this, only once so far. I was in a hurry to drive to Jo'burg so of course it didn't start. Got out, slammed the door and rang the dealer, got back in and it started... Hoping it won't become too common an occurrence. :angry: