200 conversion problem

sopes

So guys as the title says i got a problem! well a few actually :( and list them as follows

1. fitted all the engine and bits an bobs ran it for about 2 mins and the temp gauge went to red! so do i need to change the sender or the gauge?

2. after 30/40 mins it cut out so checked the fuel supply to find hardly any fuel, traced back to the lift pump not working so replaced it with 2 NEW ONES and still no joy BUT if i by pass the lift pump straight to the filter it runs sweet! so may be a problem with the cam/drive for the pump :huh:

3. what sort of problems can i expect by bypassing the lift pump if any?

So if any of you guys can help, please feel free.

Thanks

2. after 30/40 mins it cut out so checked the fuel supply to find hardly any fuel, traced back to the lift pump not working so replaced it with 2 NEW ONES and still no joy BUT if i by pass the lift pump straight to the filter it runs sweet! so may be a problem with the cam/drive for the pump :huh:

to cheque the cam is making good contact to lift pump turn the engine over when holding the manual arm if you can feel movement it should be ok

will the pump work on the manual arm ok.

Tim

As supplied, a new lift pump comes with a fitting kit which includes a spacer / shim to mount to the engine block.

You'll find that there are actually two types of casting on the engine block itself - one type is "flat" and requires the shim as supplied with a new lift pump.

The other type has a raised casting which eliminates the need for the shim.

If you fit the shim on a block that has the raised casting, the lift pump is mounted further out than designed and the actuating arm won't contact the cam.

Check the block prior to fitting the pump - I'd put money on it having a raised casting. ;)

Merry Christmas

Matt

As is a Discovery 200Tdi, you need to use the Defender 200Tdi water temp sender PRC8593 to match it to your existing temp gauge, you don't say what youT'r old engine is, but it's sender won't fit a Tdi.

lift pump needs to be fitted & working to feed the injection pump, & fit a new fuel filter too, the lift pump is operated by a lobe on the camshaft, if the arm isn't aligned or it's bent then it won't work effectivly

Ok the old engine was a 2.5 n/a diesel so should i be able to swap the temp sender straight over or will i need to tap it?

And the lift pump doesnt need the spacer, but when its running if i hold the arm right down i can feel it pulsing but its not supplying any fuel im still using the old 2.5 fuel filter (plumed together slightly different) if that makes a difference im not sure? and also the make of lift pump is britpart not sure if i should get a genuine or not.

At the moment i bypassed the lift and it seems to run fine although i would like to run it the way it should through the lift pump :)

One last thing i did quickly connect the lift pump today and the engine would tick over but not rev up and was a bugger to start so i linked it out again :(

Sorry to be a pain but im really stuck :(

make of lift pump is britpart

Oh dear - not the best of makes, they tend to fail not long after coming out of the box!

Take just the outlet pipe off the pump and crank the engine on the starter - fuel should jet out.

If nothing comes out, or there is a very weak squirt, then this indicates the foot of the pump is in poor contact with the cam lobe. Remove the pump from the engine, and with the inlet pipe still connected, operate the foot of the pump by hand and see if the fuel jet is any better. If not - the pump is no good. If the jet of fuel is quite powerful, then you have probably got the wrong pump for your engine.

Les.

Ok Les tried that and i could'nt get any fuel to squirt out useing both the foot of the pump and the manual primer arm so may be the pump is the prob, anyone recommend what make of pump to buy and where from? and should i change the fuel filter to a tdi or will mine be ok?

Thanks

Don't think you can use the old sender, best to get a new one as mentioned, if lift pump is not working then suspect it's dead. Discovery & Defender 200Tdi use the same lift pump as your 2.5N/A diesel engine, I'd try another pump & see if it fixes the fault

Turner Engineering has a temp sender that will fit the 200Tdi and your gauge. I had a 2,5 n/a cylinder head of theirs which had the sender in a different place compared to my old head and it was a direct fit in the new engine.

But - it hasn't been used since I sold the engine. I installed a VDO showing "real degrees" and made an adapter out of the old 200Tdi sender by drilling it out and tapping 1/8" pipe threads.