Grassing on Forum members

Les Henson

Not only did I blow my gear through last night :) but I broke my timing belt yesterday whilst out laning in Essex and I didn't even make it to the first lane :( Still, **** happens.

Uncle Les is going to fix it soon, I hope and I'll be able to get to James DRD at Bampton on the 20th.

Mo

Chris, that's a bugger ! Still new harness and a clean up should see you OK, good luck.

Chris,

I don't really like delving into oily bits in the engine myself and watching Les work, I wouldn't have had a clue ! However I have a better idea now.

The belt didn't break but had had a dozen or so teeth stripped from it. The tensioner and the idler bearings were very, very worn.

Les said that probably because of this wear in the idler and the tensioner the belt had jumped a tooth, then another, then a piston had hit a valve which then stripped the teeth from the belt.

It would appear that a previously highly respected South Herts Independent Land Rover workshop who replaced the belt after the last breakage did not change or used a second hand idler and tensioner (the reason for the previous belt breakage was given by them as a seized tensioner) as these had far too much wear in them for the 15000 miles I've done since then.

I was very impressed by Les' methodical approach to the work, attention to detail and cleanliness.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone else ! :i-m_so_happy:

Mo :)