200Tdi Leaking injector pump

smo

Purchased a 200Tdi defender today and its got a leaky injector pump, i've not identified where exactly its coming from - is it a common problem, do they have seals and gaskets that can be replaced??

There are seals and gaskets that can be replaced. Not something that the DIY type of mechanic should realy consider I may add. An Injection pump is precision peice of kit that needs carefull striping and re-building. The most comon source of leaks I find is the the throtle shaft seals on top of the pump. This is underneath the arm for the cable. There is a bush in the top casing of the pump that wears alowing the shaft to move side ways creating a sorce of feul leak. Usulaly a town based vehicle that has a lot of speed changes in trafic. This can be resolved in situ quite easaly, the nasty leak is the drive shaft seal. This is behind the drive flange and if it fails it will cause fuel to run down the timing case cotaminating the cam belt. This will show at the wading plug, deisel driping out. This is a pump off job to fix unfortunatly, include a new cambelt in the price. I have seen a pump top cover re-sealed with instant gasket goo , my freind took two days to clean that out using ultrasonics ect, the bill was horific by the end. Nothings irepairable depending on the depth of youre pockets :unsure:

It seems to be leaking from the back end somewhere, possibly between the outlet manifold and the main body?

If it's between the ally housing and the cast lump called the "Head & Rotor Assembly" You know the part with the 4 outlets, It's an o ring seal but the pump will have to be removed for repair. Easy job though

Regards Ash

There are seals and gaskets that can be replaced. Not something that the DIY type of mechanic should realy consider I may add. An Injection pump is precision peice of kit that needs carefull striping and re-building. The most comon source of leaks I find is the the throtle shaft seals on top of the pump. This is underneath the arm for the cable.

There is a thread with pics on how to fix this (written by yours truely) in the international forum around July 07. It was for a 300tdi but is applicable to all Bosch pumps. I'm sure someone will post the clicky link... ;)

If it's between the ally housing and the cast lump called the "Head & Rotor Assembly" You know the part with the 4 outlets, It's an o ring seal but the pump will have to be removed for repair. Easy job though

Regards Ash

I'm not certain but i think thats where its leaking from.

• 2 weeks later...

Copy un paste http://www.forum-auto.com/pole-technique/s...sujet293129.htm into google. Get google to translate it into english and take a look. You will see that the Bosch VE he is playing with is off a VW, but this is not important as its the same jobby except for the black bit on the side, which yours will have the blanking plate on. As previously stated, its the large O ring that you need to replace. B)