Uprated air filter 300tdi

Comical Engineer

I'd like to have a bit more power from the Disco, especially low down. One thing I've done in the past with other cars was fit a low pressure drop air filter, which I find is well worth it generally.

On my old MG I used a set of K&Ns which didn't need any surgery for that car. The power gain was well worth it. The down side was that, due to the location, the K&Ns used to suck in hot air from the engine bay. Fine in winter by not so good in summer. That said, the MG's cooling was marginal on a good day. I also got noticeable gains on my MX5 using K&N filters.

What I'd like to know is:

Is there a filter that will fit in the standard housing as a straight swap for the standard paper element filter? I'd like it to look as standard as possible and don't really want to do any surgery to the housing or pipework. Ideally it should be re-usable and reasonably priced!

Actually, I have just found the air filter can of worms!

Before anyone gets off on a rant (not that I'd want to stop you getting it off your chest ;) ) I live in rural, mostly wet, Cheshire, not the Kalahari desert and don't spend that much time crawling through the dust.

I can see that I might be sorry I posted this but don't know how to remove it!

I have a k+n on my TD5 as its chipped its hard to say if there is any difference only thing i really notice is a sucking sound from under the bonnet.

Look on e-bay for k+n the 300 and TD5 filter are the same.

Most people say not to fit them as if you over oil them the oil gets onto the air flow meter contacts and wrecks it.

Had no bother with my meter and as you have a 300 it wont matter anyway :P .

Lynall

As you say, it can't wreck your AFM as there isn't one, but it CAN wreck your engine. If you look through a K&N you can see daylight. This means dust gets through along with more air. But if you are so sure you live in a place that has no dust, why not remove the filter altogether? Cheaper that way.

don't bother, the benifits do not outweigh the risks...

if you want to pep up your 300tdi, bin the EGR, fit a straight through front exhaust pipe (no CAT) and tweak the fuel pump just a little.. will make it pleasantly more drivable without too many risks...

I use and recommend ITG filters. They never get reoiled, so avoid the 'too much / not enough' re-oiling dilemma, and as I discovered to my cost, changing a 'very dirty' 3 year old one for a new clean one made no difference whatsoever, so I conclude they flow well even when dirty.

This is on a Diesel 38A, 2.5 6 cylinder, with Jeremy Fearn intercooler, JF fuelling mods, and my wastegate control modifications.

The air box is standard, the appropriate ITG filter drops straight in.

Cheers.