Alpine Lights

disco_al

If you want to reseal them properly it might be worth getting new rubbers

Russ

I don't think that 'might' is the right word here ;)

So why do Disco alpine lights nearly always leak and Defender alpine lights do not? Do they have different seals, in which case it may be a good idea to use Defender sealing rubbers.

I'm not saying that Defenders don't leak, just that they leak in other places ....

But is it the alpine light that are leaking. I ask because there is a 3 way panel join just below the light which is a known leakage spot and it is quite easy to think the leak is coming from the window when its actually a few inches below. Being as though the glss id curved and steep it is not that easy for water to build up and ingress other than when using a pressure washer or when driving in heavy rain. Just a thought.

Another bad lak spot is from along the top edge of the rear door. I have seen water running in this way! Trick there is to make the seal actually work against the top of the door by either bending the flange it sits on or adjusting the door so the top presses in more. Whatever it is good luck. You will have fun stopping the water wherever it comes from! :P

when i look inside the back of the disco, behind the inner trim round the alpine light, there is a puddle that gathers there, then runs down inside when i drive away, hence it made me think of the alpine lights.

oh well, out with the sikaflex methinks

There are from memory, 3 or 4 gutter trim strips at each rear corner, that if the sealant behind them is cactus, will leak. They just unclip.

Run a thin bead along under the gutters in the corner along the roof length up to the C pillar after cleaning it well. I believe the roof fixings loosen & allow roof movement.

Depends on the colour of your vehicle what colour you would use.

• 2 weeks later...

have narrowed it down to the alpine lights now, so have plastered silicone type sealant (RTV) round the inside of the seals, but i still have a leak.

I have now ordered some (no laughing at the back) Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure to try, it's a bit like the old Comma Seek n Seal that used to be about. It's designed for the marine industry, so disco alpine light seals should be no problem.

;) A helpful neighbour made me a device for refitting the locking strip in the rubber seal out of a 6 inch piece wire coat hanger ! Just bend a diamond shape thats big enough to fit the seal through and then twist a handle out of the remainder. Coupled with washing up liquid it worked like a dream. In fact it has taken me longer to type this than refit the seal !!!!!!!

Jules