Fitting Discovery seats in a 90

Mo Murphy

As above, has anyone done it ? Any pics ? I'd imagine it's quite straight forward to do but should I expect any surprises if I were to do it ?

Cheers

Mo

Did it about 10 years ago

Easy to do and a good choice. Still have room for cubby box and not too high. also have a bucket seat but not too much that means you can't get in and out :)

Just need to make up you own seat base as you will still need to get under the passenger seat , But easy to do

Ali,

What sort of mount did you make for the passenger seat ?

Mo

Two bits of box section. Which i bolted the seats to . And then bolted the box section to the car.

Bolted the drivers seat in (as in the 90 you do't need to get under.)

And then put clips on the passenger one so you could remover the seat to get to the battery. Proberley not that safe for the passenger (thinking back about it :rolleyes: )

But i never sat in the passenger seat of that car :D

My 110 is fitted with Discovery seats, and very nice they are too. They are each mounted on two flat steel plates that are, in turn, attached to the rear of the seatbox with large hinges and to the front with bolts down into captive nuts. Undo the bolts and the seats hinge backwards to gain access underneath, although the drivers side of the seatbox has also been cut away to make the storage space more easily accessible.

At this point I'd usually post some pictures. However, not only is it chucking it down with rain, but my darling wife has pinched my camera. Will try tomorrow...

has anyone else done this or fitted rangy seats ?

Yes, i've got rangy seats in my 100", very comfy and have got arm rest's as well, in the near future i'll be changing them to heated leather ones B)

As for getting to the battery, i can't as they seats are bolted to the box. I've wired in a quick connect jump lead, and fitted shut off switches very close the the battery. The battery can be totaly isolated from underneath by undoing the earth bolt on the chassis.

Yes, i've got rangy seats in my 100", very comfy and have got arm rest's as well, in the near future i'll be changing them to heated leather ones...

Hi David, How do you find the legroom under the steering wheel with Range Rover seats?

A Land Rover breaker tells me that Disco seats have a fairly thin squab at the front, so your legs are not pinioned against the wheel, making them a good replacement for Defenders & Series. But Range Rover seats would be even more luxurious, and they're cheaper to come by.

Need to upgrade the seats in my newly-acquired Series 3, or the wife will issue a boycott...

cheers,

- Simon

Ok Mo, here are a couple of pictures of the set-up in my 110. The first shows the steel plate that the Discovery seat is fixed to. The plate is folded up at the rear so that it can be attached to a hinge that is, in turn, bolted to the lip at the rear of the seat box. The bolt visible at the front of the steel plate is screwed down into a captive nut and by removing this, the seat can be tipped backwards. Each seat is supported on two of these steel plates - one under each runner. The runners themselves still work perfectly, although I guess in a 90 you'd be restricted on how far back they could go.

As you can see, the drivers side of the seat box has been cut out to give easy access to the storage space (which works surprisingly well) although you'll have to excuse the general untidy state of this area. My 110 is basically somebody else's unfinished project and this is one of the bits that's unfinished :)

I'm not sure how useful the second picture is, but I'm trying to show how much room there is between the seat and the underside of the steering wheel. I'm not exactly slight of build, but there's plenty of room :)

post-1323-1200577127_thumb.jpg

post-1323-1200577134_thumb.jpg