Diesel Water Heater

michael100

Has anyone fitted a diesel water heater to a discovery? Going to buy one to save engine starting cold and to have hot air through the vents on tap. Just wondered about where to cut in on the water circuit and where to add the heater unit itself. I got a good idea where to fit and install but I am 100% sure that someone in here has a better/easier idea.

regards

Michael

Has anyone fitted a diesel water heater to a discovery? Going to buy one to save engine starting cold and to have hot air through the vents on tap. Just wondered about where to cut in on the water circuit and where to add the heater unit itself. I got a good idea where to fit and install but I am 100% sure that someone in here has a better/easier idea.

regards

Michael

i had a saab for a while which had one of these i thought it was a good idea warmth in quqrter of the time havent seen or heard of one on a disco maybe a first

Hi there, what i was also thinking was to use the diesel heater to warm up the veg oil before it enters the filter.I currently use an in line heater but I could do away with that if I ran the hot water lines to the fuel lines instead. It just takes a little planning to incorporate it but again, i am sure someone here has done it or has some pretty good ideas about it, saves the trial and error syndrome too.

regards

Michael

Yep i have had the same eberspacher heater for over 8 years on 4 different discos now 1 200 2 300 1 TD5.

Just break into the heater coolant circuit the samller hoses that go into the car.

Note coolant direction flow.

300 fuel supply before lift pump easy to do TD5 has to come from tank as fuel pressure to high for eberspacher.

300 mounted on drivers side inner wing between fuse box and the brake servo.

Pics are of my TD5.

Lynall

post-2192-1200172260_thumb.jpg

post-2192-1200172273_thumb.jpg

post-2192-1200172346_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
Yep i have had the same eberspacher heater for over 8 years on 4 different discos now 1 200 2 300 1 TD5.

Just break into the heater coolant circuit the samller hoses that go into the car.

Note coolant direction flow.

300 fuel supply before lift pump easy to do TD5 has to come from tank as fuel pressure to high for eberspacher.

300 mounted on drivers side inner wing between fuse box and the brake servo.

Pics are of my TD5.

Lynall

Could you please give more details on this. Is the coolant passed through the heater continualy or did you fit a Tpice setup.

How does the electrics conect up? do they overide the disco controls or do you have to have the ignition on and switch the heater fan on manualy?

I'd love to get one of these but the cheapest I've seen one for is about £750.

: (

Check ebay, they were kicking round for around £150 last time I looked, there was some chap who had about 100 of the things all lined up in a picture and was selling 'em off one by one.

Might be worth having a read of this for ideas:-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic16361.html

I've just read the whole of this linked thread - an excellent idea!!

Not just for heaters but for anti theft devices as well - and cheap!! :rolleyes:

How do things get put in the Tech Info forum............perhaps this could be considered, or is there a rule about links to other forums? :huh: