TDi power in a Series

paradigm shift

Hi all,

A few years ago I was looking at converting a Series into a 200TDi. I've done a fair bit of reading up but I can't find anything decisive on it so it would be excellent if someone who has actually done it can tell of their experiences. Some places say it's fine, some say they wouldn't put a TDi on the stock transmission or you'll destroy the gearbox and propshafts.

Would it be possible to put a 200TDi and 5spd box (lt77 or r380 etc) into a Series 2 or 3 and not destroy anything? How do people get around the lights in the grille of an S2, would they not get in the way of the rad/intercooler? Are there any other considerations? Not fussed about power steering or any fancy anciliaries.

Sorry for all the questions but any experience would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi all,

A few years ago I was looking at converting a Series into a 200TDi. I've done a fair bit of reading up but I can't find anything decisive on it so it would be excellent if someone who has actually done it can tell of their experiences. Some places say it's fine, some say they wouldn't put a TDi on the stock transmission or you'll destroy the gearbox and propshafts.

Would it be possible to put a 200TDi and 5spd box (lt77 or r380 etc) into a Series 2 or 3 and not destroy anything? How do people get around the lights in the grille of an S2, would they not get in the way of the rad/intercooler? Are there any other considerations? Not fussed about power steering or any fancy anciliaries.

Sorry for all the questions but any experience would be greatly appreciated! :)

If you're near St Albans give the Oak Tree garage a ring, they have/ did have, a 109" S2 running 200 TDi

i'm sure the torque of a tdi will eventually eat the series gearbox, depends how u drive. lt77 is the route to go, u'll need to make it switchable 2 to 4wd as per series though, propshafts wont be a problem if stickin with series box unless u change to lt77 then u'd have to make some up anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Mike Jackson over on ORRP did it to his 2A some time ago, went like the clappers and all squeezed in under/behind the s2a panels. Totalled the mainshaft after 6 months unfortunately but that was after racing the chavs off the lights on a regular basis!