I'm building a Range Rover hybrid, 2WD/4WD, FWH Nissan 4.2 Diesel

willfromsussex

very nice acredit to the time and effort you have put into the project.

how easy was it to remove the body? i've got a 3 door coming my way in a few months time, and i think i'd like to take the body off to renovate it (plus the body will fit in the back garden nicely)

I want to avoid any arch cutting, however I do have a set of spare (ropey) panels so I could always run with those on for a while, thats the beauty of these old cars, the removable rear quarterpanels. Love it. I don't plan on any offroading, It will however my driveway is so bad it needs a 4x4 in wet weather. Main duty for this machine will be towing a trailer on road, and I will be looking for road pattern tyres.

Disco Al.. body not hard to remove and two people can actually carry the thing (assuming yours is also a pre 85 so not including bulkhead etc)

you could even dismantle it further and remove it in sections by

removing the roof

removing the rear goalpost

taking the side frames off individually.

• 2 weeks later...

no people keep bringing be broken cars to fix so all I've done to the beast is start to plan where the wiring harness is going to run, the rangerover one goes up the A pillar and over the roof but the Patrol one (which I'm using mostly) runs down the transmission tunnel then goes under the car when it gets to the seat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm painted floor pieces

rt-floor-greenpaint1.jpg

rt-floor-greenpaint2.jpg

rangetrolfloor-rests.jpg

made an intake pipe , plumbed in the wastgate and the vac pipes for the brake and clutch servos. Also discovered the rad had about 10 holes in so I've been soldering the rad up.

Oh and testfitting a front wing that we had to repair the bottom edge of, but the doors need to go on before that goes on properly.

rangetrolwingtest1.jpg

Oh and also been modding the dash cluster mount bracket to accept Nissan cluster. That needs more work.

Bought a different steering wheel for it too. I need to get some more pics. Not put floor in yet because i was thinking of getting some heat reflective stuff to put under it.

• 3 weeks later...

Heat stuff installed.

rt-floor-insul1.jpg

Front floor installed

rt-floor-insul5.jpg

Seat bases and drivers seat. Also some wiring, interfacing the two looms a the A pillar.

rt-wiring1.jpg

rt-wiring3.jpg

Also had to solder up about 10 holes in the radiator core. What fun

Rear floor that came with the pile of parts I started with turned out to be for a 4 door. I had also picked up another one from a chap on here and together, with a bit of cutting, they make one 2 door floor. Will install them soon.

rt-rearfloorcut.jpg

Electrical units mounted

rt-relays2.jpg

Doors , not the best but they'll do for now. Right bottom hinge is very knackered. Need to fix that so it closes properly.

rt-doorson2.jpg

However, time for a blast, been itching to take it for a burn.

Drives fantastic. Well happy. Makes a great noise too.

Testing the suspension. Oh yeah it has tailgates now too.

rt-doorson3.jpg

When do we get a video of the sound? ;)

oh go on then

Exhaust is straight through with only the standard Rangie rear (straight through) silencer. Hence the nice whistle. Air filter is not silenced either, although I do plan on changing that when I find something big enough.

I just didn't want to get out earlier, i did 4 miles in it just around the fields and stuff. Its strange having a 2wd mode on a rangie! It lights the tyres up quite easily with all that torque and not much weight at the back.

Normally I hate diesels. In anything. Especially in place of a V8.

But that thing is AWESOME! :D a two door shouldn't be that quick! (Ok so the lack of the interior, some panels and glass might be helping there :P )

Roughly what power should she be putting out? Should be a fair amount more than my 138bhp :(

I was pondering the building a D3-engined TDV6 2 door if I needed one daily, and this has confirmed that I have to have one! All I need is the +10k for the donor D3 now ph34r.gif

Ok standard 4.2 only puts out something like 123 Bhp and 194 ft lb torque (at 2000rpm)

Although I have turbo'd this I doubt its putting out much more than standard because I have not modified the fuel pump at all (Pump still thinks its normally aspirated) I will wait until I have got the thing on the road and put the EGT gauge in the dash before I start modding the pump. I would imagine 200 BHP is not unreasonable, some people have managed a lot more but with better intercooling, lots of boost and big exhaust etc.

I plan on installing a propane system, that should boost the power quite a bit!

Today:

Left quarter and lamp wiring.

Numberplate lights

Rear bumper ends

Fit a nice big door mirror

fit Scuttle top, wipers, bonnet, sill plastics, new towball, some sanding and priming of door bottoms, and of course another test drive.

rt-mirror-on01.jpg

rt-mirror-on13.jpg

rt-mirror-on23.jpg

rt-mirror-on03.jpg

rt-mirror-on05.jpg

rt-mirror-on06.jpg

rt-mirror-on07.jpg

Panel alignment could do with improving in the future.

Need to find a washer bottle for it tomorrow, and fit some side windows and the rear floor, and she's nearly ready for MOT.

it actually doesnt look much different,

rt-mot.jpg

(still no side windows!) but now has expansion bottle, washer bottle, new numberplates, new wiper blades and I had the tracking done today before the MOT :)

rt-tracking.jpg

Ok there is one other thing I added today.. the all important badge.

rt-badge.jpg