ACR Power Plus

OWL

Hi All

I am looking to get my 62 3MB Petrol fully restored and been looking at ACR or Turners. The question is has anybody used these two (or any other ) and do you think it was value for money especially the ACR Power Plus engine ?

Cheers

Hi All

I am looking to get my 62 3MB Petrol fully restored and been looking at ACR or Turners. The question is has anybody used these two (or any other ) and do you think it was value for money especially the ACR Power Plus engine ?

Cheers

I am afraid I have no experience of the Power Plus, but I do know ACR. Roland (ACR) is exceedingly pleasant to deal with, a great bloke and really knows his stuff. The quality of the kit he produces is fantastic and they take a real pride in what they do. They have a great reputation both for series stuff right up to full race engines.

I'm a satisfied customer and a fierce rival of his on the track!

H

I had the powerplus (stage 2 I believe) kit on my lightweight. It was done by the previous owner, and the work was carried out by ACR, along with a number of other changes. I have spoken to roland on a number of occasions, mostly querying things to do with the truck and he was always helpful even though I hadn't had the work done, and it was some time since doing it.

Big question is what do you want to use your truck for one it's done?

IMHO the powerplus kit gave the engine loads more power, but at the cost of control. The engine is most powerful at high revs, due to the warmed up cam that is part of the kit, and lead to what I still refer to as a digital throttle - it was all on or all off. This was fantastic on the road, and the truck drove really well. Once you get into an offroad situation where throttle control is a far bigger factor it was a bit of a handful, and made driving with any finesse difficult.

I have to admit that I wouldn't have paid for it myself (thats just how i am - no reflection of the value for money of the kit), but the truck did go very well with the kit on! Only other issue was the fuel economy was into V8 figures, so you might as well have stuck a v8 in...

just my 2p.

Cheers

Mark

All opinions of ACR and Turners I've ever heard have been positive, however I think Mark has hit the nail on the head, by the time you've paid someone to breathe on a 2.25 you could've bought a V8 and conversion and achieved the same, if not slightly better, result. Of course a V8 conversion isn't bolt-in whereas a tweaked 2.25 is, it's swings and roundabouts as ever.

No-one I'm aware of has yet done EFI + distributorless ignition on a warmed up 2.25 and I think that could be an interesting combination as programmable fuel & sparks can overcome some of the driveability issues with fruity engines.

Hi All

Cheers

I haven't any experience of Turners.

However I did get the stage one kit form ACR some time ago (for a 2.25 petrol in '68 11A SWB), ported head, SU carb, replacement manifold and exhaust. I fitted a Lumenition contactless ignition.

The result was great, loads of power, ran on unleaded with no additives and as I didn't have the cam it retained a slightly smoother throttle. Had great service at the time too.

Another 2p...

Cheers, ;)

Phil

I've only got second-hand experience of Turners, but in general the increased power is throughout the rev range, rather than a kick in the pants. Handling on a series motor at top speed is somewhat interesting, so you might want to consider this a well.

I have no experience of ACR at all, so perhaps I'm being a bit biased - power increases through engine tweaks isn't really my thing.

Les.

I don't think the Power Plus sounds like the way to go, I'm not looking for a motorway cruiser, The turner option sounds more like it. I'm going to give them both a call and discuss what options are available

Cheers

I tried to deal with ACR some time back. Basically i was interested in the power plus head, cam, manifold, carb, headers etc for a 2.25 or 2.5 in my 2a, it was going to be a £1000 plus bill just for the bits only, before i commited to the expence i wished to speak with them as i was concerned that it would result with all revs and no grunt(no good for towing) also concerns about gearbox strength as i didnt want to end up with a new hobby of gearbox rebuilding/changing. I gave up the ACR idea after repeated unanswered e-mails and phone calls where i was told that Roland will call back (after shutting the shop) but never did over a period of 4 to 5 weeks.

I tried to deal with ACR some time back. Basically i was interested in the power plus head, cam, manifold, carb, headers etc for a 2.25 or 2.5 in my 2a, it was going to be a £1000 plus bill just for the bits only, before i commited to the expence i wished to speak with them as i was concerned that it would result with all revs and no grunt(no good for towing) also concerns about gearbox strength as i didnt want to end up with a new hobby of gearbox rebuilding/changing. I gave up the ACR idea after repeated unanswered e-mails and phone calls where i was told that Roland will call back (after shutting the shop) but never did over a period of 4 to 5 weeks.

So what did you end up with ?

Hi All

Cheers

Hi, Im about to do the same with a 2.5 to replace my 2.25. I have no first hand experience of either company but i`ve done a bit of asking around and made my mind up to go with Turners. When i asked my local independant Lr man about ACR he reckoned they were compromised of road because of the reason given above.Most of my research mirrored the above answers but there is tons of info out there on tuning the 2.25, including distributerless ignition (ACR do it) and E.F.I !!

This thread is well known and quite a read.... http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=46415.0

Good luck with your project

John

What improvements do you get from the DIS system, I was thinking of fitting it to any new engine, but is it worth the effort ?

Whilst I'm on the subject, what other improvements are worth considering regarding the ancileries ?

If you're going to go DIS fit Ford EDIS, there are a million rusty Fords in the scrappy with EDIS-4 setups on them that you could probably buy the whole car for £50. Either a MegaJolt (ignition only, about £90) or MegaSquirt (Fuel & ignition, about £250) ECU to control it and you're away.

Timing is rock solid and accurate, totally mappable for better driveability, spark is much fatter so the burn is better and EDIS is totally waterproof by virtue of having no moving parts and very well sealed coil packs. Also many EDIS units support multi-spark where it fires the plug several times at low RPM (<1200 ish) to improve burn.

Oh yeah you can have rev limit, launch control, NOS...