OMG What have I done - Head & bubble gum!!

istruggle2gate11

Any opinions on the following starter?

Gear Reduction Starter

A bit of Guinness, surfing and ebay resulted in a purchse for $230 dollars including shipping.

Lifetime warranty - doubt shipping costs covered though :(

Rog,

Not all V8 Starter are the same. How they can say "Fits all V8s is frankly misleading / wrong :(

For things like TR8s SDIs P5s P6s etc the soleniod is in a very different position to a RR or LR V8, and won't fit as the front props in the way. I can't see / remember from looking at the pic if the orientation of the solenoid in the piccy is right or not for a RR V8. Geared starters as the one you have bouht are very good, my old chevy had one and it fair whizzed the turning over and helped with the starting :) - for this it will depend on if it fits correctly :unsure:

Go have a peek at what you have, .......the 2 bolt fixing has to go in one way......start praying :lol:

Nige

Rog,

Not all V8 Starter are the same. How they can say "Fits all V8s is frankly misleading / wrong :(

For things like TR8s SDIs P5s P6s etc the soleniod is in a very different position to a RR or LR V8, and won't fit as the front props in the way. I can't see / remember from looking at the pic if the orientation of the solenoid in the piccy is right or not for a RR V8. Geared starters as the one you have bouht are very good, my old chevy had one and it fair whizzed the turning over and helped with the starting :) - for this it will depend on if it fits correctly :unsure:

Go have a peek at what you have, .......the 2 bolt fixing has to go in one way......start praying :lol:

Nige

Thanks mate, I had the suspicion on solonoid position, woke up in a cold sweat last night worrying!

So, emailed the guy, his response was that it is indexable a full 360°, so im feeling a little more confident now.

My other concern is that it seems particularly good value for money when compared to geared reduction units available over here, Im assuming (hoping) that its the strong pound working in my favour rather than shody workmanship.

Thanks mate, I had the suspicion on solonoid position, woke up in a cold sweat last night worrying!

So, emailed the guy, his response was that it is indexable a full 360°, so im feeling a little more confident now.

My other concern is that it seems particularly good value for money when compared to geared reduction units available over here, Im assuming (hoping) that its the strong pound working in my favour rather than shody workmanship.

doe,s it fit ? if it doe,s is it ok an working?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently..... form a cue!

United States Postal Service tracking service reports:

4) Into Foreign Customs, January 30, 2008, 10:35 am, GREAT BRITAIN

3)Arrived Abroad, January 30, 2008, 10:22 am, GREAT BRITAIN

2)International Dispatch, January 25, 2008, 8:05 am, NJI

1)Electronic Shipping Info Received, January 21, 2008

So, delivery should be Monday or Tuesday (said that before!) else I will be receiving a letter from Customs & Excise requesting for 3% import duty and 17.5% vat - who knows - the only good news is that if they do, it will still be cheaper than one from over here - just.

The bad news is, that I have a few friends in the American Air force who can import things without duty - but I was so impatient I didnt bother!

Woo Hoo.... Its here - following a £13.12 vat charge and £8 handling from the Royal Mail <_<

Bench tested fine with a serious torque twist :rolleyes:

A few pics before fitting (which should be Saturday).

As delivered:

post-400-1202425036_thumb.jpg

post-400-1202425057_thumb.jpg

post-400-1202425077_thumb.jpg

And after adjustment of the mounting flange (1st best guess at location, although I suspect it may need rotating down a touch to avoid the exhaust heat)

post-400-1202425094_thumb.jpg

post-400-1202425115_thumb.jpg

Im a happy bunny!

It fits, it runs well, best starting action I have had to date ( :moglite: )

Before:

post-400-1202586708_thumb.jpg

post-400-1202586728_thumb.jpg

And Fitted:

post-400-1202586757_thumb.jpg

post-400-1202586791_thumb.jpg

Time to see how it lasts in the goo and water, although Im conecting the breather pipe (seen on the bottom) either up to the snorkle or most likely, going to give it and the bell housing 10psi for wading.

I can feel the relief!!!

Sorry guys - no 'I told u so' today

Does the reduction gearing gives the starter a nice high pitched - 'Air start' sound as it turns over? bit like the old American trucks?

Erm, similar but not quite that good, but certainly better than a good late efi starter.

Will plug laptop in on Monday and measure the cranking speed. the efi ones were about 150 - 200rpm depending on condition.