Re-Locating a winch Control

Good Evening

So I have installed a winch onto the landy, where is a good spot to hide the controlling box?

My plan is under the wing, and im gonna extend the control plug all the way to inside the cab, as I have a new remote control for the winch (it'sa warn 9.5x). this way I can plug in the normal cable control or the wireless one without getting under the bonet. What do you reckon?

Any goood hints on dealing with the cabling from the control box?

on the left inner wing under the bonnet is were my husky's solenoids sit, with a remote socket fitted each side above the front lights close to the bonnet leading edge & a radio remote reciever on the underside [in engine bay] the left wing top. all up above any water levels I'm ever likey to drive into, don't have a switch in the cab as the cable remote or radio unit does that job.

my main cables run along the chassis from battery bay to solenoids then out to the winch motor, the remote socket wires run from the socket [RHS] behind bonnet slam panel, to socket [LHS] then to solenoids, all suitable restrained from heat & damage,

I moved mine to under the plastic top wing cover, I copied the shape and made one out of chequer plate, I then fixed my Albrite solenoid and HD isolator underneath it, then just screwed it back down. Good thing is, if I need to service or check any part its just 6 simple screws to undo and the whole power units to the winch is there.

Ill try and get some pics soon, but rather busy at the moment.

Ok, thanks for all the ideas.

At the moment im still un-decide on where to put the control box. So far I have taken the whole thing apart, fitted the winch, and run the main cable from the battery box. Just waiting on some more cable to extended the connectors from the control box to the winch, then I will decide.

On the 07 defender there is alot of space under the right wing, more so than the left. There is the air con unit though that is a massive bit of in the way plastic. So it will most likely be there.

On the controller plug, I think I will run this into the cab so I can plug in the radio remote reciever or the standard wire controller, but if the remote control works as well as 'it should' then mostly the reciever will be pluged in I reckon. Gonna hide this in the left side box under the dash.

will keep you posted on the process.

A good idea is to replace the warn solenoids with a single albright solenoid that is sealed. Place this under right wing and then cable runs to the battery box are kept down to a minimum.

I would still put your controller socket on the front of you Defender as if you are on your own and need to do any work on the winch like spooling on a new line or after cleaning it you can do this with the controller. Then run some 4-core cable from the solenoid into the cab and fit to a rocker switch as your in cab control.

Cheers

Steve

A good idea is to replace the warn solenoids with a single albright solenoid that is sealed. Place this under right wing and then cable runs to the battery box are kept down to a minimum.

I would still put your controller socket on the front of you Defender as if you are on your own and need to do any work on the winch like spooling on a new line or after cleaning it you can do this with the controller. Then run some 4-core cable from the solenoid into the cab and fit to a rocker switch as your in cab control.

Cheers

Steve

this sounds like a good plan as the warn ones I have do look very 'made in mexico', where would I find one?

On the control box, I have the Warn one that just plugs into the existing socket. It's all quite new kit which I brought from the US (the exchange rate made it allot cheeper)

Or save a few quid, looks the same to me

http://www.llama4x4.com/page9.htm

This lot is allot cheeper fom here in compared to some others, almost a £50 difference. thanks

I need to wire this up the the warn xpi I have. Any tips on this?

Also i was thinking of hardwireing the remote control unit to socket cabling, so I still have exterior sockets (and one in the cab) to access and I can then just run one set into the solonoid. This save's me having to plug in the remote each time, bu I can still plug in the standard controller from the outside. Has anybody done this?

One good thing about these is the push on conectors, some of the cheaper look alikes have little screws which are a PITA, especially on a cold wet day covered in mud.

Tell me about it, I have the one with the screws on, then found this, but hey its working.

Badger, people use different solutions to suit, I have a switch in the cab and I have wired a wireless remote unit to the solenoid for when I am on my own, just remember to carry spare battery's. so answer to your question it is not a problem to wire the remote socket up, just plan where you want it, a lot of people put it on the front above the winch, but I like the wing top as if the front is buried in muck you don't have to dive in to wire things up (providing the hook is free or you have attached a rope to it) plus it keeps terminals cleaner.