rev counter having a fit!!

amski

first thing.... hello to all disco owners! im new to all this so please be nice! :D

right i was out this morning driving about and me rev counter kept dropping and then going back! has anyone else had this happen and mostly how do i stop it!

cheers adam

first thing.... hello to all disco owners! im new to all this so please be nice! :D

right i was out this morning driving about and me rev counter kept dropping and then going back! has anyone else had this happen and mostly how do i stop it!

cheers adam

Hi amski, check the wires at the back of your alternator, they may be loose or corroded,

hope this helps.

I had this with my speedo

- looks like the needle just worked loose on the spindle so you may have the same thing. Only does it a few times a year. It can read, for example, 70mph then suddenly drop to zero then either sits at zero for a while (say 15mins) and sorts its self out again or bounces between 0 and 70 for a while and sorts itself out.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just aquired a 300TDi which has no movement from the Rev counter at all, I did a con test on the grey/white wire and it is fine, the terminals on the alt are clean and it has a new spade connector - what's next to check?

Matt

I've just aquired a 300TDi which has no movement from the Rev counter at all, I did a con test on the grey/white wire and it is fine, the terminals on the alt are clean and it has a new spade connector - what's next to check?

Matt

Good question.My rev counter is also dead.

Put a voltmeter on AC between the 'W' terminal and earth and check that with the engine running you have a voltage, (its AC as its un-rectified from one of the windings, the trickery on the back of the tacho converts the signal to movement at the needle), that rises and falls with engine speed. If you don't - the alt may well still be charging but its on its way out, if you do - suspect a failure of the tacho or wiring/printed circuit at the instrument cluster.

I recently had to cut the white/gray wire back on mine and used crimp connectors to splice in a new length as my gas soldering iron has expired and guess what - the symptoms are back so I'm going to have to open the loom up even further and try again.

Yawn, landies, don't ya just love 'em...............