Are freelanders possibly the worst car on the roads?

Badger_1

As the title says are they? been looking for one for a while now but the more I read about them with their mountain of reported problems it makes me wonder just what expense I could be letting myself in for.

They look great and after resigning myself to the fact the IRD could go (£1000) the VCU (£200) Propshafts £? Rear diff £? Clutch (Big job apparently) Headgasket now I have just learned that the window mechanisms are a regular fault and cost around £100 each.

So the question has to be:- who in their right mind would buy a freelander? (got a feeling its still going be this silly bugger just because they look smart)

How could Landrover get it so wrong?

Are there cars without any problems please tell me which one.

The thing I know is that the freelander is not worse then any other car I ever owned.

My SAAB had a failing computer system (more than once), the central locking sywstem stopped working, my remote stopped working. Alarm stopped. My opel leaked on every little rubber it had. My Citroen AX, had a blown engine after 2 months out of guarantee and the backdoor leaked as if it wasn't there.

The only car that didn't have any problem was my first real car the peugeot 104 it always worked never failed to start and could drive at a constant topspeed of 90km/h. :P

The problems with the freelander are known because the landrover owners are willing to openly talk about the problems they experience. I did not find that on any other forum i visited.

Since we are on this topic, does anyone have any experience of running a diesel Freelander on Vegie oil or biodiesel. Would the TD be more suitable than the TD4? Just thinking of a replacement for the Scooby though also worried about the reliability issues (having had 12 years of problem free motoring with the subaru and its still going strong!).

It's a Land Rover, no matter how much it looks like a normal car, you need to remember that. They're reassuringly unreliable ;)

Some stuff is pricey from the main dealers, but as Freelanders get older and cheaper (decent ones are down to £1000-£1500 mark now) I think we'll see an increase in aftermarket parts from the likes of Paddocks as enthusiasts get their hands on them.

I have a 1.8 and it's great, I just keep a close eye on the temperature gauge and accept the fact that at some point I may have to get the head gasket done, the kit from LR supposedly sorts the problem anyway. I just factor it in as a cost of ownership. Other stuff is still cheap compared to other manufacturers - I bought a set of discs & pads, filters, HT leads, dizzy cap, etc. from Paddocks for around £100 all in, delivered next-day. Try that with some of the alternatives.

Drivetrain failure I think has been reduced after the early models by changing the gearing, but you can remove the prop/VCU and run in front wheel drive with no problem so it doesn't really matter if the 4WD system goes, let's be honest not many people actually drive the things off-road ever :rolleyes:

let's be honest not many people actually drive the things off-road ever :rolleyes:

Oooo... me! I do!... And then it breaks... seems to be a recurring theme with the vehicles I own!! :rolleyes::lol:

Seriously tho, Mine is a L series engine jobby and I love it. does loadsa MPG compared to other stuff I own/have owned. Only problem I've had with it so far was when the aux belt snapped cos the tensioner was sligtly broken.

You only think Freelanders are unrelieble because you spend time on this forum. Look at any other forum for any other make and you'll find the same sort of banter going on.

Do it... buy a Freebie ;)

freelanders arent that bad we've had our k series for 5/6 years and aside from a recurring head gasket problem (the local garage is staffed by strategically shaved monkeys) and the slow failure of all the window regulators it has run fine, beatiful motor, really nippy and handy for moving hay, dogs, anything we can throw into it really :D

Get one they rock :P

i just bought the mrs an 04 plate petrol XEi. great looking car and very nice to drive.

if buying one, buy as new as you can afford. avoid pre 2000 models as thats when the IRD boxes were changed by landrover. also it almost eliminates the chassis problems as i haven`t came across many post 2000 models with it, yet!!!

as for running bio diesel or oil farmer, the L series should lap it up fine, but i`d strongly advise not to do so in a td4. the injectors are tempremantal at times and can be an expensive learning curve.

engine wise, for piece of mind on all accounts;

if buying a petrol, replace the head gasket for a modified one and the belt while you are there.

for a td4, change the crankcase breather filter as it`s commonly missed out and will cause engine failure eventually.

for an l series, change both timing belts.

they are underestimated off roaders and will surprise ;)

hth

i just bought the mrs an 04 plate petrol XEi. great looking car and very nice to drive.

if buying one, buy as new as you can afford. avoid pre 2000 models as thats when the IRD boxes were changed by landrover. also it almost eliminates the chassis problems as i haven`t came across many post 2000 models with it, yet!!!

as for running bio diesel or oil farmer, the L series should lap it up fine, but i`d strongly advise not to do so in a td4. the injectors are tempremantal at times and can be an expensive learning curve.

engine wise, for piece of mind on all accounts;

if buying a petrol, replace the head gasket for a modified one and the belt while you are there.

for a td4, change the crankcase breather filter as it`s commonly missed out and will cause engine failure eventually.

for an l series, change both timing belts.

they are underestimated off roaders and will surprise ;)

hth

Chassis problems!!!!!!! What chassis problems :o:o:o