4.2 V8 starts but won't on crank

Just stuck a 4.2 V8 in my 90. It will start but only on a key flick. If it goes on to crank it won;t start. So its key flick or nothing So it's like the crank is drawing too much power and stopping something working. Fuel pump seems the same, and I think I get spark on crank.

Any ideas ?

Just stuck a 4.2 V8 in my 90. It will start but only on a key flick. If it goes on to crank it won;t start. So its key flick or nothing So it's like the crank is drawing too much power and stopping something working. Fuel pump seems the same, and I think I get spark on crank.

Any ideas ?

I had a problem like that on my transit , it turned out to be the crank shaft sensor was loose , and would move as the engine would turn over .

Paul

I thought it was the white/red from the starter solenoid that supplied power during cranking, certainly tis on Flapper setups, goes through the steering unit on those but probably more direct on a 4.2.

It could be firing from the priming pulse if you give it a quick kick but getting no further if it doesn't catch as the ECU is dead whilst cranking.

• 5 months later...

I think my ECU is dead when cranking, the relays click off as the key moves to crank position and don't re-click when cranking begins. Can I just plumb a live from the starter solenoid ( red brown ? ) to the ignition ECU feed to give it juice while cranking ?

Any ideas ?

Could be wires on starter solenoid wrong or wires on key start on wrong terminals. Switching off power to bits and bobs when turned to crank position.

just a thought :)

Could be wires on starter solenoid wrong or wires on key start on wrong terminals. Switching off power to bits and bobs when turned to crank position.

just a thought :)

Should everything that is live at ignition be live at ignition + cranking ?

Should everything that is live at ignition be live at ignition + cranking ?

I had this EXACT problem, trying to start her and you had to flick the key at the right point just after compression so when flicked the key (let go) it would still turn over half a turn just alow her to fire, it was a pain timing it right! lol

My cause of this fault was..... The magnifier that bolts on to the side of the Dizzy. replaced that and BANG fired first time on the key everytime! :) Love faults like that once fixed there perfect, I also ran a extra negative from one of the small bolts of the magnifier to help as sometimes they get lack of earthing and this can cause the failure.