"QUICK" Fit... yeah right!

Hillbilly Raider

Quite often we'll take a works vehicle into them to have a tyre replaced......place is completely empty and yet they tell us leave it (the tyre) with us we're busy at the moment

I always tell them I won't leave the vehicle without a spare so I'll leave the vehicle as well

That normally speeds them up and it still takes a long time

Can't even change 7.50x16 tyres they can't

dunno what size that is one of the muppets told me :(

then the manager told me I needed the middle figure

as tyres were measure 205/80 x16

so I told them if they were to ring up a supplier and ask for 7.50x16 I'm sure the supplier would know it

and the middle figure is 100% and therefore not mentioned

i.e 7.50" wide and 7.50" tall on a 16 " rim

they stared blankly at me and pointed to the door :rolleyes:

I asked them to fit a tyre that I had, onto my rim, the reply "nah mate, we don't fit customers own tyres, EU regs"

When I asked which regulation this equated to, his relpy, "dunno, we just got an email about it, sorry, no-one can fit customers own tyres now, its the law"

Odd, when I went further down the road to a much friendlier large chain, a young lad fitted in 10 mins and the price?, "just buy the lad a pint"!!

Opinion = 'You can get better! a lot lot better!'

That is not really true. According to BS AU 50, 1, 2.1, 1991 (British Standard for Tyres and Wheels), I love the fact that your standards are called "BS".......

Anywho according to that standard a 7.5x16 tyre is 8.3" wide and 31.7" tall. That makes it a 210/95R16..... I think the intent was that the tread is 7.5" wide, whereas the metric specs use widest crosssection.

Didn't you know I have a web page for every stupid little fact!!!

I love the fact that your standards are called "BS".......

that'll be because we set the "standard" for the industrialised world, such as the Whitworth form, absorbtion of metric/imperial hybrids (BA threadform), standardisation of practices (Design symbology, notations), et cetera :P

Can't even change 7.50x16 tyres they can't

dunno what size that is one of the muppets told me :(

then the manager told me I needed the middle figure

as tyres were measure 205/80 x16

so I told them if they were to ring up a supplier and ask for 7.50x16 I'm sure the supplier would know it

and the middle figure is 100% and therefore not mentioned

they stared blankly at me and pointed to the door :rolleyes:

pointing? You must have been served by one who'd been on the advance training.

took a set of 5 new 33*12.5's and new rims to a tyre place last weekend, they wanted 15 quid per tyre to put them on, when i asked why it was so expensive his reply was cos its insurance purposes incase they damage one when fitting, does this mean they'd buy me a new one if they damaged one?!?!?!

took them to my local tyre place and they fitted the lot for a drink

That is not really true. According to BS AU 50, 1, 2.1, 1991 (British Standard for Tyres and Wheels), I love the fact that your standards are called "BS".......

Anywho according to that standard a 7.5x16 tyre is 8.3" wide and 31.7" tall. That makes it a 210/95R16..... I think the intent was that the tread is 7.5" wide, whereas the metric specs use widest crosssection.

Didn't you know I have a web page for every stupid little fact!!!

Now that is interesting....... :)