Timing cover

wkw90

Yes, that timing cover is toast .................. although I have seen worse and you could probably get the oil pump to work ok ish, it will never be 'right'........

Judging by the scoring on the LHS gear, and also the scoring that you posted on the crankshaft, it would seem that this engine has been poorly maintained at some point in its life. Unfortunately Rover V8's take exception to this and always come back and bite !..................

Post up a picture of the oil pump cover ................ I bet that looks a treat as well ........................ also check the condition of the camshaft bearings.

Definitely something nasty has been allowed to circulate in the oil system.

:)

Ian

Yes, that timing cover is toast .................. although I have seen worse and you could probably get the oil pump to work ok ish, it will never be 'right'........

Judging by the scoring on the LHS gear, and also the scoring that you posted on the crankshaft, it would seem that this engine has been poorly maintained at some point in its life. Unfortunately Rover V8's take exception to this and always come back and bite !..................

Post up a picture of the oil pump cover ................ I bet that looks a treat as well ........................ also check the condition of the camshaft bearings.

Definitely something nasty has been allowed to circulate in the oil system.

Ian

post-3347-1202730346_thumb.jpg

The best way to have it done is to take to a machine shop, have them pressed in then line bored. Not much £s, and you'll get the block chemically cleaned at the same time.

Re the Pump base stripped and cleaned with some work a la "Figure of 8 Cut Back" that will be cleanable and reuseable I think :)

You can get DIY bearings to 'hammer in' - I wouldn't :)

Nige

Most cam bearings for the V8 block are supplied as finished to size, so line boring is not and issue unless you are blueprinting the engine. However, as Les correctly say’s, they are a complete barsteward to fit………….. the oil holes have to line up perfectly and you need some very long brass drifts ………….. it took me 4 evenings to fit mine ………. It really is a slow laborious mind numbing job…………

That pump housing will clean up OK……….. but you must ensure that it is completely flat ……………. If you have not done the glass and figure of eight method before, then I suggest you use a piece of scrap ally block to practice with………. It is just tooo easy to end up with a slight curve on what should be a dead flat surface……….

Ian

If you can wait for a few days (I am seriously maxed out at work :blink: - have a 4.6 to fund), I'll have a look at the covers I've got kicking about and see if there are any better than yours. Can't guarantee anything though but I know I've got two in the shed and one on a 3.5 I won't be using.

I assume you need exactly the same as you've got?

... and you thought Nige told you off before! Wait until he rocks up this time.... :ph34r:

If its a project (I got my last guess wrong re the crank), then the joy is in learning something as you go along.

I bought a wreck of a Rangie once with a short block in the back.. My mind nagged me about should I haul it apart before building the rest up but I ignored the voice... It ran fine for a while but then melted a piston because the muppet that built it lined all the gaps in the piston rings up.

There is loads of info online about assessing and assembling. The definitive thread is in the tech archive but wether you choose to work to that level is up to you. There are also loads of places which sell OE bits cheap - Rimmer, Real Steel, RPi etc. Shop around.

Take your heads, block and crank to a machine shop and get them to give you a total price for all of the work. All up, I think my rebore, new cam brgs, skimmed heads, new guides & machined seats came to less than £400 (although the more I think about that, I'm not sure). That still leaves you cash in the bank for the new pistons, 3.9 cam etc etc

Thanks Paul, but I have good roof already and the stuff in your front room will get wet if you've got no roof :)

Shall I come round in the week and we can strap it to the roof and take it down the tip, then ?

Mo

Are you talking about the whole land rover or just the roof :blink: