Timing cover

wkw90

I have seen worse, but its not good. The dizzy drive side has had something in there which has picked up (rather than just wear) and this will mean reduced oil pressure and you MUST NOT try to clean it up other than a very very good clean. As it is an ordinary cover I would suggest you get another.

Your problem will be finding one that isn't as bad from a high mileage motor, make sure that you put new gears in whichever cover you use

Nige

My engine has 170,000 miles and having recently replaced the camshaft my pump housing was similar - a new set of gears and pressure relief spring should suffice (not expensive) as that amount of scoring shouldnt have much affect at all on pressure bearing in mind the speed that the gears are rotating at - If it can extinguish the oil pressure light when turning the engine over with the starter on a hot engine (disconnect coil) then that would indicate more than sufficient pressure to run with.

My engine has 170,000 miles and having recently replaced the camshaft my pump housing was similar - a new set of gears and pressure relief spring should suffice (not expensive) as that amount of scoring shouldnt have much affect at all on pressure bearing in mind the speed that the gears are rotating at - If it can extinguish the oil pressure light when turning the engine over with the starter on a hot engine (disconnect coil) then that would indicate more than sufficient pressure to run with.
Yep after looking around i think mine is not that bad so a good clean, new gears ect and back on it goes . I am thinking if i keep the oil clean there should be a few miles in it yet ...... :unsure:

Paul

Er - Wrong

The wear on the RHS is OKish the LHS is not.

When you removed the gears did you mark the mesh as to which teeth were connected - if not then bin them - use the old and remeshed they wear fast re-seating themselves

if you then wastye more money on new gear - the new gears will now be fitted to a badly worn base - this will worsen the wear as they bed in

Frankly the wear is too much - there are thousands of V8s out there, find one where the RHS is about the same on both sides, otherwsie why are you bothering to "Rebuild" the engine, at the end of the day the oil pump / pressure is the heart of any engine V8 or anything else

Would you shove a scored piston in, or a chipped ring and say "Its ok ?"

£20-£40 should see you with a decent timing cover

Nige

Er - Wrong

The wear on the RHS is OKish the LHS is not.

When you removed the gears did you mark the mesh as to which teeth were connected - if not then bin them - use the old and remeshed they wear fast re-seating themselves

if you then wastye more money on new gear - the new gears will now be fitted to a badly worn base - this will worsen the wear as they bed in

Frankly the wear is too much - there are thousands of V8s out there, find one where the RHS is about the same on both sides, otherwsie why are you bothering to "Rebuild" the engine, at the end of the day the oil pump / pressure is the heart of any engine V8 or anything else

Would you shove a scored piston in, or a chipped ring and say "Its ok ?"

£20-£40 should see you with a decent timing cover

Nige

I feel like i ve been told off . :(

Oi

Did I tell you you could come out of the naughty corner yet young man :P:lol:

no, but seriously if you are 2Doing a rebuild" why bother if your going to fit back on the engone an oil pump which at best is "Past its best" ?

An oil pump is the heart of any engine, a decent second hand cover giving you a pump unit worth the expense of new gears is worth every penny.

Yes I am fussy, but I have spend 20+ years with V8s and that timing case would go int he skip, I wouldn't either use it nor even think of selling it as the LHS is past it

If you wnated to shove an engine togehter for say a V8 Racer, where anytrhing would do as it was going to have the naggers thrapped out of it and it lasts as long as it does (know of 3x of these and frankly they still go on - one was build out of bits I was either binning or had on the FLOOR of my shed :lol:) they fine, but your not ?

Think about it, and maybe others who have a knowledgfe of working on V8s may like to comment ?

Ian are you about ? :P

Nige

Oi

Did I tell you you could come out of the naughty corner yet young man :P:lol:

no, but seriously if you are 2Doing a rebuild" why bother if your going to fit back on the engone an oil pump which at best is "Past its best" ?

An oil pump is the heart of any engine, a decent second hand cover giving you a pump unit worth the expense of new gears is worth every penny.

Yes I am fussy, but I have spend 20+ years with V8s and that timing case would go int he skip, I wouldn't either use it nor even think of selling it as the LHS is past it

If you wnated to shove an engine togehter for say a V8 Racer, where anytrhing would do as it was going to have the naggers thrapped out of it and it lasts as long as it does (know of 3x of these and frankly they still go on - one was build out of bits I was either binning or had on the FLOOR of my shed :lol:) they fine, but your not ?

Think about it, and maybe others who have a knowledgfe of working on V8s may like to comment ?

Ian are you about ? :P

Nige

Ok dad , but whats an engone :P

I feel like i ve been told off . :(

Well to be honest, you have :P

But its for your own good ;)

For the reason Nige has pointed out above, if your just building a motor with a potential limited lifespan, then go for it.

But if your rebuilding with the long term in mind, then bin it.

Nige has listed many valid mechanical reasons, but also, if you are re-building - do it properly, what happens in the pub V8 blah blah talk? - you would be shamed!

Ahhh yes, a TDi seems like such a good idea doesn't it?

post-21-1202605354_thumb.jpg

When something goes wrong it's always money, frankly £40 for a front cover seems like small change :P Just think of all the money you're saving on elastic bands :rolleyes:

In fact when I came to find this picture I've realised that half the TDi owners I know have had major engine failure (cambelt, cracked head, head gasket, melted piston...) at least once in the last couple of years, whereas I don't know of any V8's that have gone wrong beyond the usual moist electrics.