This months LRW magazine

Guest deleted

in my minds eye i'm imagining Mark wandering out in his dressing gown to the wheelie bins hear his place chucking in a stick of TNT and wandering off, muttering under his breath! :lol::lol::lol:

actually, more worrying is me thinking about mark in his dressing gown... :blink::blink::blink:

Jamie

Not as worried about it as me. I'll never be able to look you in the eye again. Wondering what you're thinking about :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

So that's a full working week, plus overtime, just to blow up one bridge!

OIIIII. I don't work now. I just do the calcs and then supervise so prob a bit longer than a working week :P:P

Guys its an article in a mag (the d4x4 bit), it promotes our sport/brand/interests surely thats got to be good for all.

as for all articles being the same i always thought people liked being in mags and having pictures of their trucks in them and if that keeps people happy and provides advertising (for me or who) ever then great)

I'm just glad someone had the sense to let d4x4 know the thread was here so they could at least comment on truths rather than speculation.

Guys its an article in a mag (the d4x4 bit), it promotes our sport/brand/interests surely thats got to be good for all.

It's good if it stimulates the sport, if it's a load of tosh then no, it's not good.

In the same way a few(!) of LRO's artricles are really quite bad for the sport as they give the impression that the only way to get anywhere is to buy an expensive truck and then sell your kidneys to pay Scrapiron to bolt loads of old tat to it. I wonder how many people who were contemplating having a go at challenge events would be put off when they read an article that basically tells them they need to spend £50k upwards to be competitive? If they knew they could have a go in an almost standard truck, we may have an awful lot more people enjoying the sport.

James

I think the argument here is not with D4x4 but the magazines. We all know Devon produce some nice work but for the mags to go and imply that it is a cheap way into motorsport then that's just plain wrong Spending 15k on parts with Devon is not cheap. Even by your standards. That's without labour charges. I know we could do a lot of the work ourselves but rebuilding a V8 to their standard. Welding a cage, wiring all the electrical bits and bobs, fitting ARB's. This is all work we would have to farm out. And it all costs. Lots.

That is the point of this discussion. I would love to give Simon 40k plus and come back 2 months later and drive away. But it aint going to happen in this lifetime. And I don't have enough favours stacked up on the forum to tap into for free/cheap work.

I know we could do a lot of the work ourselves but rebuilding a V8 to their standard. Welding a cage, wiring all the electrical bits and bobs, fitting ARB's. This is all work we would have to farm out.

Why ? .............. all of the items above are not rocket science ...............

I too was pleased to see the Devon reply , albeit from an import from Dorset :hysterical: , ............ I have always found Devon to be courteous and helpful ........... Simon will always find the time to tell you how & why, even if its not what you want to hear............... yet others will just fob you off ................We need more 'Devons' around ............. B)

:)

Ian

Ian

I know that it's not rocket science. I'm no dumb squaddie either but I do know my limitations. I've done a very small amount of welding and it didn't look pretty so if I need any dne now I get Weeble to do it for me. Electrics- I just don't like. No matter how hard I try anything I wire up looks messy, wires everywhere. As for setting ARB's having the tools to start off with.

I know I do my job very well that's why I'm the rank I am. I would rather go and deal with a minefield or blow stuff up than do some of the work that you and others find easy. Horses for courses.

I'll tell you what. You do some work on my car and when/if you need some mines clearing give me a call ;)

Mark - point taken ref the issue, i am just trying to catch up, i was just surprised to see all the negative comments about and was glad Tim came on to speak their side.

true if the mags implied that you need £15 to start then thats wrong. but at the end of it i still think it promotes our sport - as does this discussion and thread in that it shows you dont need £15k.

James and Tony told me you were a probationary private with 20 years service ? :rolleyes:

Listen Squaddie :lol::ph34r: ............ If you have the precision to work with things that go bang and hurt a lot, then I am sure that you can apply these skills to more mundane tasks ............. like welding and wiring ............. and think about it ........... a dial gauge to set up an ARB will cost less then the build labour......

Ian

James

No worries. If you read from the start it all came about with the mag writing some untruths. Then the whole build came into question with regards cost of parts and then labour costs. Not all of it rang true hence the discussion. But some valid points have come to the fore. You can get a challenge truck on the road for less than 15k. I know mine has cost me far less than that and yours I expect. The mags implied that the 15k was a cheap way into the sport. Which it's not.

How many standard cars compete with CSW and 4x4 Adv? How well do they do? As we keep going on about it's the taking part that matters not the winning. But we all know we'd like a bit of silverware with our name on it. I'm chuffed when I get just my name in print in the mags let alone silverware. Makes you wonder if the mag would of done the thread if Simon hadn't won the event.

As you say all discussion about our sport is good. Even if we disagree with what each other thinks. It would be a poor sport if we all drove D4x4 traybacks.

James and Tony told me you were a probationary private with 20 years service ? :rolleyes:

Listen Squaddie :lol::ph34r: ............ If you have the precision to work with things that go bang and hurt a lot, then I am sure that you can apply these skills to more mundane tasks ............. like welding and wiring ............. and think about it ........... a dial gauge to set up an ARB will cost less then the build labour......

Ian

Ian

Don't listen to them two. Pair of liars, wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the a*se.

It comes down to confidence in your own ability. I know that I don't have the patients to do fiddly mech work. Also I'd be working blind as I'd be learning as I went

Work is easy it's black and white. No if's or buts. Spannerig is a little different but I do see where you are coming from.

Ian

Don't listen to them two. Pair of liars, wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the a*se.

It comes down to confidence in your own ability. I know that I don't have the patients to do fiddly mech work. Also I'd be going blind with the work that I did.

Work is easy it's black and white. No if's or buts. Spannerig is a little different but I do see where you are coming from.

I have about as much mechanical kit, training and experience as you Mark - and I can build diffs. The worst part is tapping the hole which needs a rare 1/4NPT tap. Apart from that it is a doddle, you can guess the backlash and improvise the tools. Welding with a mini-mig is very difficult, try a proper welder and marvel at the difference. :) Wireing is OK too once you understand what you need to achieve and can visualise it. I have trouble getting it tidy but that is about me being too lazy to do it properly or too tight to buy the proper kit. :)

Chris

Wireing is OK too once you understand what you need to achieve and can visualise it. I have trouble getting it tidy but that is about me being too lazy to do it properly or too tight to buy the proper kit. :)

Chris

So you haven't done the trailer electrics yet then?