Heater not working ???

Hi, Can anybody give me any idea why my heater in my 300 TDi? I have checked the levers are working and they seem to be. The water pipes to the heater gets nice a warm, the fan is working, BUT there don't seem to be any air flow even if the fan is on or off. There is no air coming into any of the air/heating ducts at all.

Hi, Can anybody give me any idea why my heater in my 300 TDi? I have checked the levers are working and they seem to be. The water pipes to the heater gets nice a warm, the fan is working, BUT there don't seem to be any air flow even if the fan is on or off. There is no air coming into any of the air/heating ducts at all.

Its your flaps... :blink:

There are 2 in the airbox, did you check the 2nd one which can be used to shut off the air supply entirely in dusty conditions?? You need to check the lever moves at the airbox end, not just on the dash.Failing that have you got a birds nest/squirrels nut store in the wing air ducting??? :rolleyes:

Its your flaps... :blink:

There are 2 in the airbox, did you check the 2nd one which can be used to shut off the air supply entirely in dusty conditions?? You need to check the lever moves at the airbox end, not just on the dash.Failing that have you got a birds nest/squirrels nut store in the wing air ducting??? :rolleyes:

thanks Simonb

I did check the lever moving on the heater unit, that the one on the top of the ? how do I check the my flaps?

thanks Simonb

I did check the lever moving on the heater unit, that the one on the top of the ? how do I check the my flaps?

The air flap is the one is near the back of the box where it goes through the bulkhead. The top one does the hot/cold mix. Locate where the cables attach to the box. Note position of lever/rod on box - this attaches to the flap inside. Move dash controls from one extreme to other, you should get approx a 90 degree movement in the lever/rod it attches to at the box end. There are 2 cables/flaps btw...

I can't remember which way the levers go for no air/ and full hot at the box end ( my heater box is modified...) but you can work it out from the dash controls. I would then set full hot/ air open ( ie fan on) on the dash, then slacken the inner cable clamps at the box end and make sure the flaps are indeed fully over in the position you want it - a helper is useful for this to save you running round the front of the landy - might get you warm this way though!!!

Fan control does the air on/off - full up past the fan off position to stop air, heat is on right hand side lever. There is a possibility that the 3rd lever which does screen/feet is causing the problem but IIRC that shouldn't shut of the air entirely if its not properly adjusted...

The air flap is the one is near the back of the box where it goes through the bulkhead. The top one does the hot/cold mix. Locate where the cables attach to the box. Note position of lever/rod on box - this attaches to the flap inside. Move dash controls from one extreme to other, you should get approx a 90 degree movement in the lever/rod it attches to at the box end. There are 2 cables/flaps btw...

I can't remember which way the levers go for no air/ and full hot at the box end ( my heater box is modified...) but you can work it out from the dash controls. I would then set full hot/ air open ( ie fan on) on the dash, then slacken the inner cable clamps at the box end and make sure the flaps are indeed fully over in the position you want it - a helper is useful for this to save you running round the front of the landy - might get you warm this way though!!!

Fan control does the air on/off - full up past the fan off position to stop air, heat is on right hand side lever. There is a possibility that the 3rd lever which does screen/feet is causing the problem but IIRC that shouldn't shut of the air entirely if its not properly adjusted...

Thanks again,

I will try and have a look in the morning.

Pete

Knobber.

Whereabouts in Oxfordshire are you as I get down there every week or so and might be able to pop in if you need a hand?

I found out the hard way about the correct setting up & operation of the flaps. Just because the lever is moving on the dash it doesn't mean that the flap is moving at the other end as the operating cable has a habit of siezing up meaning the inner & outer move together giving the impression of correct movement but in actual fact nothing is happening at all.

Get the flaps working correctly and 95% of the complaints about 90/110 heaters disapear immediately.

The reason for this is that the air takes the path of least resistance. So I made a restriction out of the aluminium bottom of a small heating candle ( don't know what they are called in English...) by making an approx 13 mm hole in it and put it into the passenger side defroster hose. This way, more air is passed over to drivers side.

Would this be why my passenger-side vent belts out a helluva lot more hot air than my driver's side? I'm fed-up of the dog being the navigator on a frosty morning :lol:

Since the air is distributed in a duct inside the dash and it enters from the passenger side, that end tends to be warmer......

"Would this be why my passenger-side vent belts out a helluva lot more hot air than my driver's side?"

Possibly not.

The lower flaps should be linked by a rod that runs across the width of the hollow section of the lower dash (the bit that is filled with air from the heater), if the weld or bracket has broken then one flap will be perminantly down (thereby blocking air-flow) while the other one is up (allowing air-flow).

"Would this be why my passenger-side vent belts out a helluva lot more hot air than my driver's side?"

Possibly not.

The lower flaps should be linked by a rod that runs across the width of the hollow section of the lower dash (the bit that is filled with air from the heater), if the weld or bracket has broken then one flap will be perminantly down (thereby blocking air-flow) while the other one is up (allowing air-flow).

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info, I am now getting warm air in the Landy. All I done was to adjust the fan cable?.

Once again Thanks to all who replied.

pete

The reason for this is that the air takes the path of least resistance. So I made a restriction out of the aluminium bottom of a small heating candle ( don't know what they are called in English...) by making an approx 13 mm hole in it and put it into the passenger side defroster hose. This way, more air is passed over to drivers side.

They're called Tea Light candles in English, Lars :) Did it make a noticeable difference ?

Mo

Thanks, learn something new every day. ;)

Yes it did, the defroster air is now balanced and both sides clear at the same time. A cheap and easy improvement. :)

Mines got a bit of pipe lagging in the passenger side hose to give the drivers side a bit more blow... :blink: