300 Tdi Auto - Prospective purchase

Dunc

Hi everyone,

Time has come for the regular 6 monthly replacement of my Rangey before selling whatever it was again...

:rolleyes:

I've stumbled upon a 5-door 300Tdi auto with 86k on the clock, air con, tow, sunroof etc etc... BUT i've also found a manual 3-door 300Tdi with 82k on the clock.

The 3-door would suit me sweet, i've had a few now and they're good busses, but the auto is almost a grand less.

I know Kev Baldwin has an auto, but it's not an everyday truck really.

Anyone got one or had experience to compare to a manual?

Thanks

I have a 300tdi auto XS which I use every day and also tow a caravan. I have had no major probs with it and certainly not with the tranny. Ok an auto is good for towing, and you dont have a £500 plus bill every time the clutch wears. I know if the torque converter or the box went down it would be a hefty bill but up to yet its been ok at 135,000 miles.

I dont do any major off roading so I cant comment on engine braking etc.

MPG Approx 30 on average give or take.

Another plus point is that the ENGINE in the auto has slightly more HP than the stock stick shift.

Hope this helps

Ivan

I've only had manuals before but now I've got the Auto Disco I wouldn't have anything different, it's so much easier.

The only downside at all is the fact that most of the diesels are EDC like mine which means lots of electrics to go wrong. If you can get one without EDC then it will have less potential for problems, but as far as I know only the EDC model had the extra 20 bhp, so if you get one without the EDC you may find it a little sluggish unless you tweak it a bit

I have a 300tdi auto XS which I use every day and also tow a caravan. I have had no major probs with it and certainly not with the tranny. Ok an auto is good for towing, and you dont have a £500 plus bill every time the clutch wears. I know if the torque converter or the box went down it would be a hefty bill but up to yet its been ok at 135,000 miles.

I dont do any major off roading so I cant comment on engine braking etc.

MPG Approx 30 on average give or take.

Another plus point is that the ENGINE in the auto has slightly more HP than the stock stick shift.

Hope this helps

Ivan

Thanks Ivan.

Had no idea the Tdi in the auto has more power, i thought it'd be dog slow.

Does it overtake well?

i have a 200tdi manual and a 300tdi es auto leather etc

the 300 is far far better point and squirt and you can make it work very well into the corners and out if you sort the kick down out to your driving style

the auto has been pinched by the wife ( the 200 was hers) she borrowed one day back in november and i have not been able to get the keys off her i have to ask if i can borrow it

Hi everyone,

Time has come for the regular 6 monthly replacement of my Rangey before selling whatever it was again...

:rolleyes:

I've stumbled upon a 5-door 300Tdi auto with 86k on the clock, air con, tow, sunroof etc etc... BUT i've also found a manual 3-door 300Tdi with 82k on the clock.

The 3-door would suit me sweet, i've had a few now and they're good busses, but the auto is almost a grand less.

I know Kev Baldwin has an auto, but it's not an everyday truck really.

Anyone got one or had experience to compare to a manual?

Thanks

We have 2 300tdi autos, never had a problem with either and i tow a 3.5ton trailer across europe to Bosnia twice a year,

not the fastest thing in the world but i think personally they are pretty good, averaged 53mph last month with a fullly loaded trailer on the back, and well over 25mpg with trailer on tow

regards

Keith

Just to put you better in the picture;

1994 'M' Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi 5dr Auto, 86000 miles, Red, MoT 30 Aug'08, Twin Sunroof, E/W, C/L, Alloys, Tow Bar, Air Con, 7 Seats, £1,400.

M298OBH.jpg

Any comments?

Bits i should check unique to the auto?

EDC, descent control?

I didn't even know they had that on the oldies.

I can see this being a steep learning curve for me!

EDC is Electronic Diesel Control, it means lots more electrics, on the standard 300tdi they used the same type of manual injection pump as the 200tdi and quite similar to the older 2.5 and 2.25 engines. The EDC model has an electronic fuel injection pump (looks very similar) This allows it to have greater control over the amount of fuel entering the engine at any time. The non EDC models have a throttle cable which pulls a lever and adjusts the amount of fuel. The EDC models have a throttle potentiometer on the Accelerator pedal which send electrical pulses via the Diesel ECU to the fuel injection pump. The EDC model has 3 "normal" injectors and a sensor injector on the first cylinder.

The cruise control and the aircon are also wired in with the EDC system.

So as you can see there is lot's to go wrong, compared to a bit of wire pulling a lever on the non EDC model. Personally I'd prefer the bit of wire pulling a lever! Even at the sacrifice of a few bhp. (I've only read that it's as much as 20bhp - not found anything factual) I can gaurantee though that it goes faster than a 200tdi both in acceleration on top speed

averaged 53mph last month with a fullly loaded trailer on the back, and well over 25mpg

Blimey! :o

I'm impressed by that.

Erm, would now be a good time to confess that i've never owned an auto?

I've driven half a dozen or so, but not sure how i'd get on letting someone else control the gears, especially off-road...

I also have a 300TDi Auto.

Mine was EDC went well and returned reasonable fuel economy however, The EDC started to play up and I could not be bothered with plugging it into a computer to find out what was wrong so I replaced all the electronics with a mechanical pump and proper throttle cable.

I have tweeked the pump a little but it goes just as well if not better, returns the same sort of economy and does not have any electronics to go wrong on the engine.

I think the power difference is 11 hp the non EDC as standard being 111BHP and the EDC ones being 122BHP when new.

I would certainly have another one.

Pete.

EDC is Electronic Diesel Control, it means lots more electrics, on the standard 300tdi they used the same type of manual injection pump as the 200tdi and quite similar to the older 2.5 and 2.25 engines. The EDC model has an electronic fuel injection pump (looks very similar) This allows it to have greater control over the amount of fuel entering the engine at any time. The non EDC models have a throttle cable which pulls a lever and adjusts the amount of fuel. The EDC models have a throttle potentiometer on the Accelerator pedal which send electrical pulses via the Diesel ECU to the fuel injection pump. The EDC model has 3 "normal" injectors and a sensor injector on the first cylinder.

The cruise control and the aircon are also wired in with the EDC system.

So as you can see there is lot's to go wrong, compared to a bit of wire pulling a lever on the non EDC model. Personally I'd prefer the bit of wire pulling a lever! Even at the sacrifice of a few bhp. (I've only read that it's as much as 20bhp - not found anything factual) I can gaurantee though that it goes faster than a 200tdi both in acceleration on top speed

Does the pump have wires on it or just the lack of a throttle cable to give it away?

All sounds a bit scary... :huh:

The pump does have a few more wires but it isn't dead obvious.

The throttle pedal will still have one manual cable coming from it so don't confuse that (it's the kickdown cable for accelerating fast)

From the age of the vehicle (M reg) and the fact that it doesn't Look like a top of the range model (no side steps) I'd guess that it hasn't got EDC any way. From what I am aware it was only introduced on the 96 Chassis vehicles although these were released in 95 I'm pretty sure none were released in 94.

If it's tidy then for that money I'd go for it. Check the boot floor for rot, the footwells, expect both sunroofs to leak and the alpine windows, check the side sills for rust. A small amount of rust on the boot floor is OK but too much near the edge can lead to quite a big job

Thanks. I'm most likely going to have a poke around them both tomorrow, and will see which floats my boat.

Like i said, i'm nervous of owning an auto but if it's in good nick i'm lured in by the price. I think it's more likely that i'll get it if the manual 3-door is tatty than if they're both similar.

Very grateful for all your help, watch this space...

:)

Thanks. I'm most likely going to have a poke around them both tomorrow, and will see which floats my boat.

Like i said, i'm nervous of owning an auto but if it's in good nick i'm lured in by the price. I think it's more likely that i'll get it if the manual 3-door is tatty than if they're both similar.

Very grateful for all your help, watch this space...

:)

We have a Tdi 200 manual and a Tdi 300 auto EDC. I used to sing the praises of the 200 all night and day "35mpg, fast enough; great tow-er" etc etc. Truth is, the 300 goes better, corners better, tows better, is more refined and uses almost exactly the same amount of fuel. They are both great but I'm really swaying to the 300 now.

We have a Tdi 200 manual and a Tdi 300 auto EDC. I used to sing the praises of the 200 all night and day "35mpg, fast enough; great tow-er" etc etc. Truth is, the 300 goes better, corners better, tows better, is more refined and uses almost exactly the same amount of fuel. They are both great but I'm really swaying to the 300 now.

My first Disco was a 200 Tdi, it was a great truck on the whole and very good on fuel. Always felt so grunty you'd think it'd pull a house down. :)

The other Discos i've had have all been 300 Tdi, which rev better and are more 'driveable' if you see what i mean.

The query on this is the auto, which once i've bought it i'm stuck with!

I would never buy a manual car, given the choice,, whatever model or make,,

we aren't in the 19th century now !!!

If that one at £1400 is OK underneath,, i would snatch his arm off !!!

Blimey, that's conviction. :o

I'm warming to the idea, inspection will tip the balance, hopefully going over later today.

The 3-door (from the pictures i've seen) looks better, is a year newer and a much more subtle colour. The wife likes it too.

N745LVK.jpg

The 3-door (in the pic) is now £2200, which would be a steal at £1850, which is where i'd start negotiations.

Dunc,, the 5 door will keep its vaule better,,

I doubt you will get much off the asking prices, knowing the vendors !!

Ah, you recognise them Tim, eh?

The last 2 Discos i had and my 90 came from them.

I managed to get my 90 ('K' 200 Tdi, 90k, FSH) for £1850. It's amazing what deals you can wring out when you do the whole "well nobody has bought it so far and me and my pile of cash are leaving aroundabout now".

When i bought the 90 i left and said "when you haven't sold it next month give me a bell, i might still be interested". 5 mins later the moby rang...

:lol:

Tdi Auto's are an acquired taste. Some love hate 'em, others love them. They're not the sprightliest things off the mark, so if you're a traffic light racer, they're not for you. But then if you're a traffic light racer, I'd ask 'what you doing driving a LR'??

Mine was my everyday truck. Difficult to offer accurate mpg figures as it had roof rack and a ton of other ironwork, plus 35's and 4.11 gearing. I'd also had it intercooled and chipped. On a run, it was 'acceptable', but pottering around, as with any auto it was heavier on fuel.

Mine (N plate) was EDC and it never gave any bother. If it has Cruise control, it'll be EDC. If it has cruise control - it almost certainly won't work! They're hopeless.

Note, the EDC model is the only Tdi you can 'chip'. Definitely makes a difference to performance. ECU is located behind trim panel to the right of the drivers right foot. Only 'problem' I had was a cold starting fault. This was cured by advancing the timing a tiny amount. This was a tip given to me by diesel tuner Jeremy Fearn. He said it was common on 300Tdi Autos.

As for the rest of it. Give the inner wheelarches, door openings and boot floor a good poking. On a Disco of that age they'll be on their last legs if they haven't already been replaced. Check all of the electric extras. Everything on a Disco -electric sunroof, central locking, electric windows, remote stereo control, cruise control, clock (!) gives up working eventually.

M reg auto is pre EDC, EDC came out 96 model year.

You can tune std injector pumps takes 1/4 hour and costs nowt unlike chipping!

As std very very slow, but so much nicer with no trans clunk and the never ending joy of attempting the smooth gearchange.

Did i say very very slow i meant very very slowwwwwww :P

Lynall

Thanks Kev, thanks Lynall.

Just got back from looking at them both, bearing in mind they're up at £2,200 for the 3-door and £1,400 for the auto...

On a good day i'd have given £750 for the auto and maybe £1,450 for the 3-door. :rolleyes:

The 3-door had all sorts of ironwork holding the dash together and struggled to rev at all, producing clouds of smoke. Its sills had started to go, had already had a couple of small patches and the sill under the rear door was see-through.

Next.

The auto had good bodywork apart from the 'c' pillars which were rotted through, one of which had been plated with the worst welding i've ever seen (and i've seen my mate Ben's, which is awful) as had the sill ends. The rear floor was accessible from inside and underneath, the holes were that big.

Ran nice enough, but for the money i'd have to spend i may as well gas my Rangey and do the welding on that...

Hey ho, i'll keep looking. If we can save up enough i can have another 110 instead... ;)

You are looking at the very cheap end of the market at £1,400 for an ES disco, so you can't expect too much, I've seen ES's go for more like £3000 at that age

I always go and have a look, just incase.

I've had a couple of bargains, like a couple of years ago i bought my first 300Tdi (3-door) for £2450 + fees and sold it 3 months later (when i changed to a 5-door) for £3,750. That was a minter only let down by relatively high miles @ 134k.

They are out there, but these two, the one especially, were hanging.