72 range rover, how do the front seats come out?

willfromsussex

I used to make the seat slides for Range Rovers in the early 80s and IIRC if they slide right off then there is something seriously wrong!. Again - IIRC, the slides are prevented from coming over-extending by 'dimples' in the ball tracks. This is because it becomes dangerously weak if the slide is adjusted too far forward since the seat-belt is anchored on the top section of the seat-slide. If the slide will disengage all the way, then I would suggest that it is damaged and dangerous.

From memory, there are two bolts holding each slide down. If you slide the seat right forward you should then see the rear bolt inside each lower slide section, and likewise if you slide the seat right back you can get to the bolt that is inside the front of each lower slide section. They may be star drive socket bolts.

Related memory: On the Series One (1949 - 80") which I used in the early 80's, the seat would slide right off.

One day, in an accident* it did so, then dropped and wedged me tight against the steering wheel (no seat belts) so that my chest was pressing the horn and I couldn't get out (could hardly breath to tell the truth), Most embarrassing!

TwoSheds

* I had a new Lay-dee with me and we drove into the car park of a popular village pub. It was Summer and the place was heaving with lots of people outside in the 'beer-garden' which overlooked the car park. Finding no space, I saw an unkempt grassy bank and (with a smirk <_< ) I engaged 4wd and drove slowly towards it. Unfortunately there was a low (but solid) retaining wall at the bottom of the bank that was totally obscured by overgrown grass and which just nicely caught the spring hangers... Well I got wedged as previously described and my passenger hit the wind-screen (not too hard - didn't even bruise), and I was left pinned with the horn blaring until some strong young men came over and helped me out. :huh:

I can't remember now what she said or whether I saw her again - the mind has a way of blocking out trauma :lol:

Hi, i can't believe i've spent another hour trying to get this seat out, there are no bolts that I can see, I'm thinking a 1987 car is probably different .I drifted out four roll-pins , this enabled the seat to go backwards out of the runners a bit, but then collided with the rear cargo floor, so no good. It would go no further foward than it would before. Maybe there is something wrong with my seat. I hope there is someone there who can step in and help here.

EDIT : err I might be about to make you fell silly but the seat comes out forwards once the roll pins are out and you have to hold the bar at the front up as if you were adjusting the seat as you run it fowards. Get me?

LOL at two sheds, my passenger seat (of the type above) needs a little grease on the locking mechanism, sometimes after the seat had been moved to let someone into the back the front passenger would adjust the seat bachwards a little and it would seem to catch and lock and they'd think no more of it. Until I'd miss the lights or someone would slam on in front and my passenger would hurtle towards the dash and stop abruptly as the seat lock actually caught - these are the seatbelts built into the seat type remember so the belt would hold them in the seat but the whole seat would go from naught to brown trousers in a split second. They'd stop miles shy of the dash or screen of course but the look on their faces was always priceless :D

They'd always look at me like I'd played a practical joke on them. Nowadays I te ll any passenger to give the seat a good shove to make sure it's locked...

Oh just thinking aswell, there are some springs going from the seat to the seat base - they make the seat feel lighter when you're adjusting it - have you knocked those off? Just dotting the t's and crossing the i's :)

Hi. yes i was holding the bar up and vigorously sliding the seat backwards and fowards once the roll pins were out, tried it witht he backrest upright, with the backrest tilted, etc, it was still hitting something. Its rare for something on a car to wind me up but I was getting really annoyed with this.

Those are exactly like mine, have had mine out three times recently to change gearboxes. On mine take out the bolt through the seat slide at the front, disconnect spring underneath, lift locking handle and slide off backwards, mine came out without hitting the seat just heavy and awkward. the last time 16 year old grandson did it for me and had no probs.

finally got it out (daylight helped) there was a metal bracket to do with the auto-slide when tilt, which had come undone and got in the way of things. Once that was out of the way , it was tight but did come out (slid rearwards)

gotta fix the bottom of the seat now, no rubber trampoline thingy left on it