Grease or Oil in Swivels

Shackleton

I did read quite a few of the articles on axles / swivel joints in the Tech Archive and different people use different lube but I'm wondering is there a definative best lube to use in the swivels.

Mine are original '73 axles / 6 bolt swivel housing type. I've just gotten the kit from Paddocks and I got them to give me one shot grease (Britpart) too but I won't use it if the oil is better.

To my mind the oil will run back into every nook and cranny where the grease - albeit semi fluid, won't?

Any thoughts?

There was a very good long discussion on here last year about this. I think we all enjoyed taking part. Certainly I did.

I think it depends what you are using the car for. Certainly if you expect to break c/v joints, as in competition, then oil is the way to go. Or is it ???

Mike

Syill causing a lot of trouble in an empty house !!!

Oil for me.

Lubricates better, easier to change than grease, allows for early detection of your swivel seal leaking and letting water in.

I got that one shot from paddocks too, free with a kit. You can have mine if you want.

Not definitive, just my preference :)

With series vehicles I use oil (the joints aren't CV, so oil is better) I sometimes use One Shot if a swivel is a bit leaky and the customer wants to put off the inevitable. Otherwise I use what was originally used. I believe someone mixed the two and filled to the level plug - can't remember who it was though. I suppose if they do mix-then you get the best of both worlds possibly.

Les.

i use the one shot grease (recommended by Dave A) then top up with oil (EP90)

warm the 1 shot in the kettle in the wrapper to ease use or chuck it in when fitting.

same here, I mix gear oil with grease, give it a good mix and inject it in the swivel

I always used to use one shot grease but I tend to strip my axles every 2-3 events and it was a right pain cleaning the grease out so im going to use a thick gear oil. Had planned on EP90 but we have some EP140 (same as jase) which is used in Jag, Merc etc Diffs that I might try!