2.25 piston rings

Dano

Does anyone know anything about the 2.25 piston rings from paddocks? My mate is rebuilding the lump for me but he says there are too many rings, the pack has 4 rings I believe including the top and bottom compression rings and the oil control and another which doesn’t seem to have a home, he describes it as a “wiggly wire” he called paddocks and they didn’t know and he has asked quite a few other people, does anyone here know what this spare ring could be for?

For background the block has been professionally honed and the crank polished, the top compression rings have been chamfered so as not to foul the top ridge in the bore, this all done by an aviation engineering firm

thanks

Hmmm.... normally you have the two top compression rings, then either a 3 part oil control ring, made from two steel rings, and a piece of spring steel to separate them whilst in the groove, OR a single piece oil control ring which is basically the three rings in one.

You sure you don't have the two VERY thin oil control rings stuck together with that yellowy engineering goo? Otherwise you might be missing one :(

HTH,

Bowie.

There are two types of oil control ring - 3-piece type and two piece type. What you describe is like this one. The wire part goes in the groove first and then the main ring sits on top of it. Some pistons also have a fifth ring right at the bottom of the piston skirt.

post-2-1204003922_thumb.jpg

post-2-1204004123_thumb.jpg

Les.

not casting dispersions, but are you sure your mate knows what he's doing?

rings go a certain way up too

He sure does, he is a skilled mechanic and has built and raced drag racing cars in the past, NO2 powered Rover v8’s in fact so if you want to know about tuning V8’s he’s your man

To be honest I have not seen the parts or fully understand the query, normally I would be working on the motor with him but I have been out the country, so I don’t really understand the relevance of the replies either until I take a look at the piston and the rings, he may well post here to clarify the question

This is a picture of the of oil control ring assembly supplied which was wrapped up together, the two compression rings that were wrapped separately are in situ on the piston so what are the additional 2 rings on the left for? My mate is just waiting to have his registration verified so that he may post on here

Thanks

rings.JPG

Right...

Wiggly one on first, then one spring steel ring, then the fatter spacer ring, then the other spring steel one, it will make a sandwich that id effectively the three rings sitting on top of the wiggly one, in thin-fat-thin order.

Pretty sure that is right, although that make up of an oil control ring is slightly different to what I have seen before -most are 3 piece (two thin rings with a sprung centre spacer ring) or one-piece, just one fat ring in place of the 3/4 in the other kits.

Easy way to tell if they are wrong is to see if they fit in the groove all together :)

Maybe they gave you a choice of oil rings for some reason. Does just the thicker one fit in the space with no room to spare? And does the wiggly one with a thinner one on either side also seem to fit? If so I think you just got two different oil rings.

Right...

Wiggly one on first, then one spring steel ring, then the fatter spacer ring, then the other spring steel one, it will make a sandwich that id effectively the three rings sitting on top of the wiggly one, in thin-fat-thin order.

Pretty sure that is right, although that make up of an oil control ring is slightly different to what I have seen before -most are 3 piece (two thin rings with a sprung centre spacer ring) or one-piece, just one fat ring in place of the 3/4 in the other kits.

Easy way to tell if they are wrong is to see if they fit in the groove all together :)

Sorry, bit new to forums so I am learning the protocol !

As you said, thats what i thought but the only combo that fits snuggly is the two steel spacers + the sprung sandwich ring and not the wiggly wire! The wiggly wire fits snuggly on its own and I am pretty sure that one cant fit inside each other as the groove isnt deep enough. Cheers for the advice though.