LED lights

I got some LED light bulbs and discovered that none of them work. This is because my Defender has postitive earth wiring, ie the positive is the outside of the bulb and the negative is the centre connection. This is true for the stop/tail lights, the side lights and the indicators. It looks as if I will have to rewire the whole lot, as although incandescent bulbs work either way, the LED bulbs require the correct wiring. Has anyone else noticed this problem with Defender wiring?

I got some LED light bulbs and discovered that none of them work. This is because my Defender has postitive earth wiring, ie the positive is the outside of the bulb and the negative is the centre connection. This is true for the stop/tail lights, the side lights and the indicators. It looks as if I will have to rewire the whole lot, as although incandescent bulbs work either way, the LED bulbs require the correct wiring. Has anyone else noticed this problem with Defender wiring?

I had the same problem with my side lights. Reversed the spades in the connector using a small screwdriver. ;)

YES

The LED's lights don't work on the rear side lights.

Don't know how to fix this?

I hit this problem with one side light on mine Jim.

What year is yours ?? Are the lights the complete plastic type with those small connectors.

If so somebody, the factory, could have wired them wrong. Because they are a complete plastic bodied light it doesn't matter until you try to fit LED's.

HTH

mike

Yep they are all like that, dunno why cos the body of the bulb should be earthed, typical LR...or is it the Prince of Darkness...

My lights are the more modern ones with the bayonet plastic bulb holder which has a Murphy-proof connector in that you can't reverse the connector at all. The only way to get the connections right will be to cut the wires and reconnect them the other way round.

We were considering selling bulbs at the workshop, but if it requires a complete cut and paste rewiring we will not bother. At least I now know that my Defender is not unusual.

If I try to take it to bits, that's what I'll get, I reckon. I have found trying to take LR electrical connectors apart to be just about impossible this side of an anvil and sledgehammer ;)

All the leds I have, red white and yellow warn that correct polarity is required.

Maybe I can find a connector lying about here and practice on it :)

I discovered this when I was selling LED bulbs. It seems to be a 300Tdi thing - though it may apply to Td5 too. It is quite true Jim, you can remove the contacts in the plug if you are careful with a tiny screwdriver and reverse them, no need for wire cutting.

Cheers

Chris