Cut & shut 130"?

I'm planning to convert my 96' 110 tintop to a 130 ragtop flatbed.

Was looking at the various galvanised 130 chassis on offer, but other than the rear cross member the original chassi seems pretty good.

Rather than the pain and expense of a full swap has anyone heard of a 'cut and shut' extension job with the truck intact?

Good idea? It needs to be strong.

If you've got to cut it in half and do the rear x-member as well I'd think it would make more sense to just buy a galv 130 chassis and have done, you're going to jigger all the bodywork alignment anyway when you stretch it, and I bet you find lots that needs doing when you disturb it.

If you've got to cut it in half and do the rear x-member as well I'd think it would make more sense to just buy a galv 130 chassis and have done, you're going to jigger all the bodywork alignment anyway when you stretch it, and I bet you find lots that needs doing when you disturb it.

... and you'll have to sva it and probably end up with a Q plate because of the change in wheelbase :(

Mo

another thought, if converting a 110 to 130 by using a full [unconverted] 130 chassis the 110's VIN would still show as a 110, not a 130, so I would expect DVLA to do either let you keep the 110's VIN or issue a unique DVLA generated chassi/VIN number to be stamped into the new chassis.

uhoh... these things are never as simple as you'd hope!

There's a lot invested in the 110 to start again from scratch (same old story... :rolleyes: ).

Had a scan through DVLA website and am no wiser for it. the How much trouble might a SVA/ESVA be?

I would probably farm out the chassi swap - does that still make it an "amateur build"?

Unless Land Rover build it, yes it's an amateur build.

SVA as a commercial vehicle shouldn't be hard, the full passenger car one is a bit trickier. I'd buy the manual from VOSA, read it, and decide what you want to do. You don't want to do it and then have the DVLA declare you're not legal.