Weird sound IN the exhaust

Shackleton

Now that I see Jim's Td5 horror story in the Disco forum I got to panicing about all sorts :D

Just remembered I heard a sound that I thought nothing of, being new to diesel and or turbos.

Not long after she starts from cold I hear a sound in the mid exhaust box. I'd say the box is acting like an amplifier. Anyway it's like a little mini motor running in the box?

I assumed it was something to do with the turbo - which is brand new - so now I'm worrying it's a bad thing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: forgot to say it goes away after a few minutes

Now that I see Jim's Td5 horror story in the Disco forum I got to panicing about all sorts :D

Just remembered I heard a sound that I thought nothing of, being new to diesel and or turbos.

Not long after she starts from cold I hear a sound in the mid exhaust box. I'd say the box is acting like an amplifier. Anyway it's like a little mini motor running in the box?

I assumed it was something to do with the turbo - which is brand new - so now I'm worrying it's a bad thing.

Any ideas?

EDIT: forgot to say it goes away after a few minutes

Loose baffle plate - stops when it heats up and expands ?

nige

As HFH said, loose baffles.

As the box heats up they expand and become a good fit again.

May not last though as, in time, they will no longer grip when they get hot. When they get bad you can sometimes work out where the baffle is and either fix it in position with some deft hammer blows or even drill holes in the right place and weld through the hole to attach the baffle.

Steve