LED Lights

So, I have switched my internal and external lights to LEDs, except for the rear stop and tail light.

For some reason this light works (but is not that bright) U38020R

But this light does not (and is really bright, this is the one I want to fit) 380/1157 4w Ultimate Red Stop and Tail

Could it be something to do with a relay or fuse?

I have not touched any of these as it is a brand new 07 90, both lights are case negative.

what do you mean it doesn't work?

have you bench tested it with a 12v supply?

have you had a multimeter on the pins of the socket?

yes and yes,

The LED does work (it's brand new), but only if you connect either the stop light connection or the tail light connection. If you just plug it in as you should it does not work? Im trying to find out the diference between the two types of LEDs, but when I phone ultraled's they give me 0 customer support. Im sure they are nice people, but they say that they can't talk because they only sell the LEDs and do not give advice?

im sure they do though...

So, I have switched my internal and external lights to LEDs, except for the rear stop and tail light.

SNIP

But this light does not (and is really bright, this is the one I want to fit) 380/1157 4w Ultimate Red Stop and Tail

SNIP

I have not touched any of these as it is a brand new 07 90, both lights are case negative.

The description includes the comment "Dual connection with one pin higher than the other".

I wondered what 'dual connection' meant, but I guess it means there are two contact pads on the base of the unit, each with an electrical circuit via different LEDs to the case, and that the offset pins in the side are just like a normal dual filament bulb, to ensure you can only fit the bulb in the correct orientation to get only 5W on Side (Tail), and 21W on Stop (Brake).

Can you light each 'element' under test conditions, with the unit outside the holder?

You say the unit is 'case negative' so I assume you do, but worth double checking.

HTH

The description includes the comment "Dual connection with one pin higher than the other".

I wondered what 'dual connection' meant, but I guess it means there are two contact pads on the base of the unit, each with an electrical circuit via different LEDs to the case, and that the offset pins in the side are just like a normal dual filament bulb, to ensure you can only fit the bulb in the correct orientation to get only 5W on Side (Tail), and 21W on Stop (Brake).

Can you light each 'element' under test conditions, with the unit outside the holder?

You say the unit is 'case negative' so I assume you do, but worth double checking.

HTH

Yes, I can light each connection, but when plugged in, does not work? I tried switching the connections, but it give's me the same results.

yes and yes,

The LED does work (it's brand new), but only if you connect either the stop light connection or the tail light connection. If you just plug it in as you should it does not work? Im trying to find out the diference between the two types of LEDs, but when I phone ultraled's they give me 0 customer support. Im sure they are nice people, but they say that they can't talk because they only sell the LEDs and do not give advice?

So the bulb works - what about the socket? had a look with a multimeter?

don't assume that.

Some LED bulbs have diode circuitry so they can ignore polarity, some don't. Of course, a filament bulb doesn't care about polarity.

I'd use a multimeter.

You could test the polarity sensitivity of the new and old bulbs on the bench.

Ho hum,

With multimeter black lead connected to "earth" contact in rear light, check that you get +12v in turn on the side light contact and the the stop light contact. Meter will say +12v. I suspect that knowing land rover, the earth contact in the light fitting may actually be at 12v and they switch the side/tail and stop ccts to earth. In this case meter will say -12v.

Jim Atrill posted on here week before last with the same problem - on a 300Tdi the front side lights are definetly wired back to front so wouldn't surprise me if the tail lights are too.

yes and yes,

im sure

I have had the same problem on my 2001 Defender 90. The (12 bulb) LED lights for the tail/brake work either as a tail light or as a brake light. ie with the side lights turned off they works as brake lights, but with the side lights turned on they don't work as brake lights. When in the 'tail' mode they are very bright and I suspect thast they are actually in bright brake mode. I have tested them off the vehicle and they all light up. I tried them in my other car and had the same problem.

I have had the same problem on my 2001 Defender 90. The (12 bulb) LED lights for the tail/brake work either as a tail light or as a brake light. ie with the side lights turned off they works as brake lights, but with the side lights turned on they don't work as brake lights. When in the 'tail' mode they are very bright and I suspect thast they are actually in bright brake mode. I have tested them off the vehicle and they all light up. I tried them in my other car and had the same problem.

Glad to hear someone else having this issue, now lets see if someone can help solve it?

Ho hum,

With multimeter black lead connected to "earth" contact in rear light, check that you get +12v in turn on the side light contact and the the stop light contact. Meter will say +12v. I suspect that knowing land rover, the earth contact in the light fitting may actually be at 12v and they switch the side/tail and stop ccts to earth. In this case meter will say -12v.

Jim Atrill posted on here week before last with the same problem - on a 300Tdi the front side lights are definetly wired back to front so wouldn't surprise me if the tail lights are too.

Ok, got the multimeter on it.

The wires are set up like:

Left = Earth

Middle = Stop

Right = Tail

With the multimeter set up like above, with side light on I get +24v on the Tail wire, then with the break on I also get +24v.

Is this correct?

that means you've correctly indentified the earth wire as the earth, which is good.

Now, you need to test what's going on inside the bulb holder. the shroud should be earth and the two pins in the back should be brake and tail. each should get 12v on it in turn when you press the brake and switch sidelights on, respectively. they should only both get 12v if you brake AND have the sidelights on - they shouldn't both get 12v in any other circumstances.

yes and yes,

Ultra LEDs will not give advice unless you bought the LEDs from him.. I think he is fed up with people buying cheap ones off ebay, then phoning him for advice when they don't work...

I've phoned him about a product i bought from him and found him very helpfull.

Ultra LEDs will not give advice unless you bought the LEDs from him.. I think he is fed up with people buying cheap ones off ebay, then phoning him for advice when they don't work...

I've phoned him about a product i bought from him and found him very helpfull.

Iv'e spent over £200.00 with them already...

that means you've correctly indentified the earth wire as the earth, which is good.

Now, you need to test what's going on inside the bulb holder. the shroud should be earth and the two pins in the back should be brake and tail. each should get 12v on it in turn when you press the brake and switch sidelights on, respectively. they should only both get 12v if you brake AND have the sidelights on - they shouldn't both get 12v in any other circumstances.

Ok, checked this, get the same set up. Case is earth, right = tail, middle = stop. Both get 12v (or 24 on this weird multimeter) if Stop and brake is on, or right get something only if tail light is on and stop gets something if only the break is on.

Just a thought but are the contacts on the bottom of the various bulbs all the same shape? I only ask because if one bulb has smaller/larger contacts than the others it might not be connecting correctly.

HTH

Pete.

Yeah, I thought this first. So I got three bits of wire and (very fiddly) connected them to the light to check if they were working, then I took the connectors out and made them the same shape (bent bit of wire). I managed to break one bit...