rear diff

and question nr2...

i have a lot of play in the rear diff and its clunking every time i change gear or drive over a hole or bad road surface, how do i know which diff to order without removing the original first, as far as im aware there are various types with differenr number of splines...mine is a 1987 2.5N/A 90

yup 10 spline.

It takes 5 minutes to whip out a rear halfshaft to check.

are you sure it's the diff?

as sure as i can be, no play in the uj or the a frame ball joint, quite a bit of rotation on the propshaft where it joins the diff...

"It takes 5 minutes to whip out a rear halfshaft to check"

I agreee 100%.

Never rely on what SHOULD be there on a vehicle like a LR, take a shaft out and see what IS there and you will know for certain and make sure you order the correct parts. Also you can take the opertunity to check for wear on the splines (very evident if it is there).

Over the years parts get swopped around and vehicles get upgraded, my 1986 ex-MOD 90 is fitted with 4-pinion diffs with 24-spline hafshafts so that is either standard fit for a MOD spec vehicle or an in-service modification as I am the first owner since release.