MOT and Continental lights

Paul64

Taken from HERE

Right hand dip headlamps can be temporarily altered for use in the UK by fitting masks or converter kits which remove the beam 'kick-up' to the right.

A headlamp altered in this way is not a reason for rejection, if

a. the headlamp aim is not rejected for the reasons listed under diagram 1 (except that the top of the beam image will be a straight line)

b. the light output is not unduly

reduced - not usually a problem with commercially produced kits

c. the mask or converter is securely attached

I told you I had 2 left hookers pass with tape on the lights! :P :P

Eh?

So is the one fog rule only for HGV's? :blink::huh:

Bish , ones the minimum (offside )

two are the maximum (at the right height)

I had three (one singular offside under the height limit, and two more in the lamp clusters at 1600mm, these are the ones i removed the bulbs from to get a pass ) And the manual states no more than two fog lamps are to be fitted ( not word for word )

BTW do RRC have more than 2 fitted as standard ?

if i was you i would swap the reversing lens for a second fog lens (red), wire appropriately to come on with the other one, and relocate a reversing light to top centre where Scotian has his incorrectly placed reversing light. Job done!

for the rear at least

Taken from HERE

Right hand dip headlamps can be temporarily altered for use in the UK by fitting masks or converter kits which remove the beam 'kick-up' to the right.

A headlamp altered in this way is not a reason for rejection, if

a. the headlamp aim is not rejected for the reasons listed under diagram 1 (except that the top of the beam image will be a straight line)

b. the light output is not unduly

reduced - not usually a problem with commercially produced kits

c. the mask or converter is securely attached

I told you I had 2 left hookers pass with tape on the lights! :P :P

Well that has cheered me up, as that will save a lot of faffing about! Just so I get the beam bent in exactly the right way for the test, do you know of any on-line diagrams as to where to place the tape exactly? I have a rough idea, but I want to get it right first time to get a pass.

Thanks, Paul

if i was you i would swap the reversing lens for a second fog lens (red), wire appropriately to come on with the other one, and relocate a reversing light to top centre where Scotian has his incorrectly placed reversing light. Job done!

for the rear at least

I changed the lenses over last time and swapped wiring for test in Germany. My only regret was not tagging the wires to makes it easier for this UK MOT. When I did this first time round I was expecting to re-register LR directly to RO from DE. But due to the new importation tax laws in Romania I am going to have to delay RO registration until July to save literally thousand s of pounds. So back to Blighty it must be for registration with the DVLA and MOT.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul

placing the tape is childs play. If you image a headlamp reflector as a concave (spherical?) mirror or the retina of an eye you will remember from school physics that everything coming from it will appear to be upside-down (and back -to-front?)! The bit you have to cover is the triangular shaped bit of the lens that gives a slight up-kink to the beam to illuminate the nearside of the roadside. This triangle is very clear to see and is BELOW the centre line of the lens (see above!) Just ensure that this triangle is completely blanked out with black insulation tape and bobs your proverbial.

Its the p[osition of this triangle that is the only difference between LHD and RHD headlamps.

PS I failed A level physics ;)

Bish , ones the minimum (offside )

two are the maximum (at the right height)

I had three (one singular offside under the height limit, and two more in the lamp clusters at 1600mm, these are the ones i removed the bulbs from to get a pass ) And the manual states no more than two fog lamps are to be fitted ( not word for word )

BTW do RRC have more than 2 fitted as standard ?

Ah ha! Now I understand! 2 is OK, 3 or more is not! Right got it! (eventually! :lol::P ) - It would have helped if I had read your post correctly the first time, but nevermind!! :lol:

RRC have 2 as standard AFAIK.

If you want to, you can pick up some RHD headlights here in Rotterdam if you're travelling through Europoort-Hull or HoekvanHolland-Harwich? Don't need them anymore, as I'm changing to LHD.

Thanks mate but I'm crossing in France.

Cheers, Paul