Completely OT - Scanning Slides

bishbosh

I'm looking at getting my parents a slide scanner so they can view all their slides from eons gone by on the TV (via the DVD)

Most devices seem to be loads of money but I did come across THIS that seems to be just the ticket.

Anyone got any recomendations? What about adaptors for standard flat bed scanners?

I have thought about gathering up all the slides tucked away in odd places about their house and getting them scanned at a studio, but I think it would be easier for them to have the freedom to scan slides as and when they rediscover them!

All help most appreciated as usual! :D

Anyone got any recomendations? What about adaptors for standard flat bed scanners?

(...)but I think it would be easier for them to have the freedom to scan slides as and when they rediscover them!

Bish,

I don't think there are adaptors for standard scanners as,being standard (sorry,er),they're not supposed to accept adaptors AFAIK.

Also,another lamp is needed,which is usually built in the cover.

I recently got a new scanner as my old one gave the ghost I think,

and spent 149 Euros (sob) to bring a Canon with film/slide adaptor home.

It works well and,having a traditional reflex (digicam would be handy for quick photos to post here though)

it gives me the best of both worlds.

Just my thought...

:)

I bought one of these from Jessops a year ago. It was faulty so I got a replacement. Whilst it then did work, I was very disappointed with the quality of the scans. They were very grainy and nothing like the quality of the picture you would see when using a slide projector. I took it back and got a refund. Perhaps the more expensive ones produce better quality scans but they are out of my price range at the moment.

Log

Alternatively, take a look on EBay

I still use a 'film' SLR loaded with slides for any serious work as I can't afford a DLSR and lenses to match my old Canon AE1. I also use an HP Photosmart S20 scanner, which does good quality scans (up to 2400dpi) of slides, negatives and lower res scans (but good enough for online viewing) of standard sized prints.

You can still find Photosmart S20's on EBay. I've just checked and there are a couple there right now. A check of the completed listings shows that one went for as low as £32.05 recently

The drivers & software can still be downloaded from HP's website and it does work with XP. Note - the software hasn't been updated since 2001, so I don't expect it to be supported under the next version of Windows.

STEVE