Elusive R380 4 cyl model

hi,

I am looking to fit a disco 200tdi engine to my lightweight hybrid and am planning on using a 4cyl short bellhousing 5 speed box.

I have yet to find a box and was looking to fit a 4cyl LT77 but see that some people have hinted that there is a stronger R380 available. I have heard a few reports that the LT77 is fairly fragile.

Could a 300tdi R380 (long bellhousing) be converted to a short bellhousing configuration? This would be purely down to the fact that them seem to be more available!

Or is this a proper no no and better to stick with the LT77?

Oh and my friend has a gearbox that looks like a LT77 centre. (LDV bus) Could that be utilised to repair a broken 4cyl 5speed box?

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

yes it is possible to change the bell housing & input shaft to a short one,my mate has converted lt77s the otherway.are you going to be using the truck on asi? the lt77 is plenty strong enough, i have one available if you are interested.i spent 6 very happy months on ascension island in86/87,regards chris.

I have a short bell housing on my 200Tdi/R380 110, IIRC it's 11cm from front flange face to rear flange face, I don't have any paperwork saying it was fitted, so it either came with the R380 when it was fitted in 1995 or it's my old LT77 bell housing.

the part number for it is FRC9865

one here

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listi...9865&page=1

The factory built Defender & Discovery 200Tdi's had LT77 boxes as standard.

post-20-1205616455_thumb.jpg

I have a short bell housing on my 200Tdi/R380 110, IIRC it's 11cm from front flange face to rear flange face, I don't have any paperwork saying it was fitted, so it either came with the R380 when it was fitted in 1995 or it's my old LT77 bell housing.

the part number for it is FRC9865

one here

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listi...9865&page=1

The factory built Defender & Discovery 200Tdi's had LT77 boxes as standard.

Hi Western,

Are you saying that a LT77 short bellhousing would fit on to a R380? If so where can i get a R380 short input shaft?

Thanks.

yes it is possible to change the bell housing & input shaft to a short one,my mate has converted lt77s the otherway.are you going to be using the truck on asi? the lt77 is plenty strong enough, i have one available if you are interested.i spent 6 very happy months on ascension island in86/87,regards chris.

hi did your mate convert the LT77S or you meant the plural of LT77?

Do you know the details?

If not, have any you guys converted a V8 box LT77S to short bellhousing, I remember somebody saying that it would require the box to be stripped internally.

Yes i am using the LR on ASI, with taxes and oil prices have finally hit, so swapping to Tdi. Also future petrol deliveries seem in doubt!

What gearbox do you have available? A brief description would be great.

By the way whereabouts are you located?

What was the nature of your business on ASI?

Cheers.

Hi Western,

Are you saying that a LT77 short bellhousing would fit on to a R380? If so where can i get a R380 short input shaft?

Thanks.

IIRC my old LT77 bell housing was removed & fitted to my original R380 short shaft box, I don't have any paperwork to say it was a new part unless it came with the R380 when it was fitted in 1995, the currently fitted R380 came as a exchange unit from Ashcroft Transmisiions & my garage swpped the bell housing over as the new box isn't supplied with a bell housing.

hi,

I am looking to fit a disco 200tdi engine to my lightweight hybrid and am planning on using a 4cyl short bellhousing 5 speed box.

Could a 300tdi R380 (long bellhousing) be converted to a short bellhousing configuration? This would be purely down to the fact that them seem to be more available!

The short bell housing is like rocking horse poo! There have been numerous threads on here over the years. About a year ago someone on here cut and shut a long bellhousing down to make a short one.....The"easy" (relatively speaking) bit is changing the R380 input shaft but is still means stripping the box.. Do a forum search on bellhousings/gearboxes.

The short bell housing is like rocking horse poo! There have been numerous threads on here over the years. About a year ago someone on here cut and shut a long bellhousing down to make a short one.....The"easy" (relatively speaking) bit is changing the R380 input shaft but is still means stripping the box.. Do a forum search on bellhousings/gearboxes.

Ashcroft have complete short bellhousing R380's for sale (new) with the short bellhousing included - I looked into this, you can't get the short belhousing, but the short input shaft you need to go with it is available.

Adrian