Attaching Tracmats

This is for my 90 Hard Top.

Im am looking at getting some 50mm thick, 1.5m long tracmats. I only want them for when I go offroad. I am thinking of attaching them to the outside, by drilling 4 holes in the sides of the hard top (at the bottom, near the bar that holds the sides to the vehicle) and then use a 5mm steel spacer plate on the inside with some bolts going through, then put the tracmat waffle over the bolts, then I will use two longs bits of plate to hold the mat inplace, and use wing nuts (for ease of getting off). to secure. Do you think this is a good idea.

I do not want a roof rack as its a daily driver and I dont want to 'damage' my fuel econmy, nor be inconvienced by constantly taking it off or putting it on!

without them fitted the stowage bolts could be a hazard to pedstrians/other traffic, as they would stick out a fair way, you could put in a false rear floor so the 'tracmats' slide in on the original floor with the false floor above, all the mud would be kept away from other gear stowed in the back.

To be honest I haven't measured the back of the load area, but I dont think they would fit (1.5m Long). I see your point, but I could always invert the bolts so only the head is sticking out?

I think the thickest and longest ones will be best as I can use them with any vehicle and will mean I will never need a pair again (in theory)!

Yeah that looks good, I have head lining so I would need to come up with a permant solution to keep the thread in place, but other wise it would work. Would perhaps need to fit a ladder to be able to get at them easily though?

You could fit a couple of large rivnuts from the outside and bolt downwards into the roof. Or if you prefer having a bolt sticking out then you could wind in a bit of treaded bar and lock it with a nut and washer on to the roof. This makes it possible to silicone the thread in the rivenut so it doesn't leak.

As for getting up there, I used to just walk straight up the front bumper, wing and roof.

Storing 1.5 m waffles on a 90 hardtop is not an easy thing, I have been trying the find a solution myself.

The load area isn't nearly long enough and even the sides are to short, with either the bords sticking out off the rear or blokcing the doors...

The roof is definetely the easiest storage, but can be hard to get at or get them back up.

so far I have always put them diagonally in the back, but this is quite cumbersome to take out as they only just fit.

Would it not be possible to fabricate a sort of bracket that uses the bolts on spare wheel carriers to mount to, with a bolt/bar protruding out that waffles can be put onto and sequred with a wingnut so they are vertically stored against the spare wheel? It'd block the rear view but would be easily accessible, at a reasonable height and totally removable when the waffles aren't being used, so no one runs into the back of the spike.

Probably a lot of reasons against it but just thought it up.