Where does the rear wash pipe run?

Hi,

have a couple of questions I thought I would combine into one post.

My rear washer doesn't work. The pump runs (but does need to be replaced) but nothing comes out the back. I have traced the pipe from the pump as far as the bulkhead and was wondering where it goes from there. I don't want to start stripping trim to find it goes down the other side. With my luck I would pick the wrong side. Haynes is useless and my workshop manual doesn't cover it.

Also, are there any locations where I can easily check the flow?

Next, what colour is my landy? I have had a look at the site with all the dates and colour codes but can't work it out.

2008-03-18-Rear_picture.jpg

And lastly, can I confirm that it is a 110 and not a Defender? It says 'Land Rover 110' on the front but the stickers down the side say Defender and it is a G reg. The VIN is SALLDHMD7FA4*****

(This is the colour it was before I spent half a day T cutting and waxing it. Don't worry, I took it up the farm and got it muddy afterwards. just wanted to protect the paintwork.)

2008-03-10-Added_spots_and_rope.jpg

Thanks,

/mad

Guest diesel_jim

the pipe should go up the LH winsdcreen frame (remove the 2 screws and the trim, you'll see it in there), then along the LH roof (gaffer taped to the roof) or in the "gutter" channel thing. if you remove the grab handle on the end of the dash (3 screws, and one of them is under the "land rover" logo thing), then you should find a NRV - non return valve (to stop all the water running back in the pipe, and thus taking ages for the washer to eventually squirt some out) this could be blocked with crud/lime.

is the motor OK? not just running but actually pumping some decent pressure? they tend to die after a while, a new one from bearmach is about £6, not much at all.

and yes, your G reg 110 isn't a defender. these only came out with the introduction of the 200Tdi (apart from the special order 2.5 NA diesels) in 1991 (which was H or early J reg)

Guest diesel_jim
Forgot to add. Your snorkal runs up the drives side, mine is on the other side. <_<

Hmmm... i never noticed that! for a proper vehicle of that era, the snorkel (and air intake) should be on the LH side; actually, the TurboD's didn't have an external intake IIRC, it ws under the bonnet.

i clicked the "other pictures" link, and you'rs looks like it's had quite a cosmetic makeover, or been "re-registered" on another VIN, as you've got an R380 box and transmission tunnel, and as the intake is on the RH side, one would possibly suspect it's got a 300Tdi in it.... disk braked rear salisbury? (must be, unless you're running wheel spacers, to allow the alloys to fit properly)

Hmmm..... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Thanks for replies guys.

the pump has a good pressure on it but one of the terminals is a bit flaky so will need replaced. Will have a look at Bearmach.

The location of the NRV is just what I was after, will whip off the corner tomorrow and have a look. At least if it is getting that far the blockage isn't behind the dash and its only trim panels covering it.

I'm really glad it's a 110, I wanted one of them rather than a Defender. Don't know why but I just like the idea of it.

Was just about to say...

It has had a 200tdi and an R380 put in so that would probably explain the location of the snorkel.

but noticed that diesel_jim had alreay spotted it from the link in my sig. Yes it has spacers to allow the bling alloys to fit (which I don't like) and a 200tdi with R380. I take it you got all that from the position of reverse on the gear lever?

One last question... This is described as a LAND ROVER LR 110 4C SW

What does the 4C mean?

thanks,

/mad

It's a Land Rover 110 Turbo Diesel,

Diesel_Jim --- actually, the TurboD's didn't have an external intake IIRC, it was under the bonnet.

No it wasn't ------ TD's always had the turbo air intake grille on the left wing side panel, yours seems to have been modded with a 300Tdi right side panel with the air intake at some time before you got it,

your VIN is nearly the same as my 1989 110CSW's VIN SALLDHMB7FA****** obviously except for the last 6 numbers,

This is described as a LAND ROVER LR 110 4C SW

4C on the V5 reg document - 4 Cylinder & SW = Station Wagon

mine below 1st weekend in my ownership, note the 'LANDROVER 110' above the grille, the 1988/89 County stripes & turbo air intake behind left front wheel arch flare.

post-20-1206143359_thumb.jpg

VIN is SALLDHMD7FA4*****

recheck that VIN number as the 2nd D means it was originally fitted with a 2.5 4 cylinder petrol engine the code letter for the TD engine was B as in my VIN in my reply above.

& can we have a overhead photo of the engine bay, because I suspect you've got a 300Tdi/R380 combination fitted, not a 200Tdi

Well it's defo a Defender 200Tdi like mine BUT with a 300Tdi air intake system.

the D means it was originally a 2.5 petrol engine not a TD as that was a B where your D is, looks like a previous owner has done the engine/gearbox swap & made a good job of it, the turbo badge on the right rear panel has been added too along with the Defender 3 line body side stripes.

post-20-1206145919_thumb.jpg

Well it's defo a Defender 200Tdi like mine BUT with a 300Tdi air intake system.

the D means it was originally a 2.5 petrol engine not a TD as that was a B where your D is, looks like a previous owner has done the engine/gearbox swap & made a good job of it, the turbo badge on the right rear panel has been added too along with the Defender 3 line body side stripes.

Thanks Ralph.

So let me get this straight..

It was originally a 110 2.5 petrol (VIN details) but has got a Defender 200tdi in with a 300tdi intake and an r380 box, BUT has turbo diesel sticker on the back and Defender 3 stickers on the sides.

gawd I'm confused!

The previous owner did say it used to be petrol and was converted before he had it. I assume the turbo sticker was just for show (why?).

Thanks for all the 'land rover geek' info. These first two weeks of ownership sure have been a learning experience.

/Mad

It was originally a 110 2.5 petrol (VIN details) but has got a Defender 200tdi in with a 300tdi intake and an r380 box, BUT has turbo diesel sticker on the back and Defender 3 stickers on the sides.

Yep that just about sums it up. :i-m_so_happy: the stripes are Defender ones from 1994 to the start if the Td5 vehicles, the Td5 range didn't have body stripes.

may it give you many happy & interesting years service :D had mine 15 years this July :D

Ok,

removed the left hand grab handle and there was no NRV but I could see the pipes. So then added some red food dye to the washer mix and tried the wash again. Nothing.

Next step, I swapped the pumps over and the water was running through the pipes. and I got a little water on the rear screen and a load of gunk. A quick clean with a needle and it worked a treat. :)

So, it is the pump at fault, despite it running and pumping water, it is faulty. I must admit the pump does sound different and is a bit flaky. Going to replace it & a new seal.

Going back to the colour.

I was told that this landy is ex MOD. Whether this is true or not I don't know. The inside is a slightly different green from the outside, although it is hard to tell from this picture:

post-4939-1206213281_thumb.jpg

Is it likely that the outside is Coniston green and was painted later than 1990 and this is MOD green?

thanks,

/mad

if it's a ex-mod vehicle there shopuld be evidence of a MOD/LR contract plate on the side of the seatbox just inside drivers door, if the plate has been removed look for 4 rivet holes in that area.

flush some clean water through the pump, they get clogged with gunge from old wash fluid & stop or work poorly, blow the gunge out by blowing from the outlet.