Undersealing

This is the stuff that is used extensively out in the USA for pick up bed linings, although often under different names, such as speedliner, truckliner etc. It's been mentioned on here before but not sure if anyone actually got round to doing it due to cost? A lot of these coatings need to be sprayed on by pros.

But I see no reason why it would not work, as long as the floor was nice and clean etc. I have thought about it for my 110 hardtop, to tidy it up, insulate it and deaden the noise a bit more(!!).

Let us know what happens...where you get it from etc. IIRC it was always quite hard to get in this country.

James

I have recently been looking at Protectakote for the Ranger truck bed, this does not need professional application. Looks good, not made up my mind yet!

Just back from a 2kkm trip with some rain and the whole floor from the second row was flooded. Water coming from the rear wheel splash just into the door/floor connection.....I hope the new owner gets it.

It gets rave reviews in the usa - my buddy in canada has used it - although had it done by some pros. And has since had it put into the back of every truck he has bought new or old.

Your profile doesnt say where you are - but I know there was a garage down around the Exeter way which was an agent for one of these products - and it was available in a multitude of colours - I was going to do my vapour s2a bed in bronze green.

Rhino linings are a carp company, try communicating with them, responses take an age and come through in broken english as they have no proper UK setup.

Protectakote is quite good, i have some here as i was going to use it on the D-Lander the major advantage is home application, however it does go on quite thin compared to the spray on alternatives, i am now going to be using speedliner with the kevlar additive for both the bed area and the interior of the D-Lander, the samples i have are excellent and they have a decent network of dealers across the UK.

Guest diesel_jim

My dad has just had a fuel tank sprayed on his old mercedes he's restoring.

the finish looks a lot like rhinoline, tough plasticcy stuff. it was done not far from here (Swindon), think it was Gloucester, i'll find out on monday when i see him.

with the fuel tank done (they have to cut a hole in the side then weld it back up aftewards, but you can't see where) they guarantee a lifetime warranty.

certainly looks tough enough.

I'll wade in here with my experience with truck bed coatings, I'm from Canada, I've had 2 pick-ups with it done (both used in the oil field), All of the trucks at the previous company had the boxes done from new. I also did my Jeep Wrangler's interior with it, was the best upgrade to the vehicle next to suspension. I did the jeep myself and it was way too much labour to prep (removing seats roll cage, etc). For what it's worth I'll never apply it myself again, too much clean up and you need proper ventilation (polyurethane). Leave it to the pros. Best part was using a hose to clean it out! Just pull plugs in the floor and spray.

They are durable (once cured) and you just hose it out. Also, if chemicals or paint are spilt on it you can use paint thinner, varsol, lacquer thinner, MEK, etc for cleaning it.

One thing that is very important is that you treat any corrosion correctly, and sealing any joints with something like sikaflex or prc, before having it applied . I have a 110 dbl cab conversion, the box is finished in chequer plate, which I will be shipping back to Canada this year. I'm planning to get it coated, while I was back home, the local shop that does it, explained a few things for me regarding chequer plate, it will most likely need the shiny surface removed (acid etching) to create a suitable surface, and, lastly they will add some pumice to the mix as it becomes "VERY" slippery on chequer plate when it's wet. It's a bit slippery anyway, when wet but I would highly reccomend it.

Cheers,

Tracy