2 Wheel Land Rovers

I am currently hunting around for a Mountain Bike..... its confusing to say the least!!

I see that Land Rover make bicycles??

I can not justify spending vast sums on the bike, as its really just to get fit (those that know me stop laughing), take on the train and commute to work at the other end, i am in the fortunate position of being possibly able to train and cycle to work.

It will also get used for hacking about the New Forest, and any other 'general' useage.

Looking to spend as little as is practical, around £200 ish, have been advised not to get Full Suspension or any other 'gimicks' as they will be of low quality at this price, also been advised to get a 'hardtail', as its best suited to general use/ onroad commuting. Probably also like quick release front hub just to make it easier to throw in the car etc.

Basically in the trawl through all the bike websites, i have spotted the Land Rover bikes, in my price range, are they any good?

Or would i do better with another make? Have discounted Appollo from Halfords, as they have lots of 'toys' but are very cheap, several people have said theres better quality out there.

Sort of O/T but i am hoping the mods dont object?

The wife and I covered this exact same debate about 18 months - 2 years ago.

The best way we found to test them was to go for a few outings and try out the different models in the hire shops. It's money well spent IMO as we ended up buying a pair of GIANT bikes that are used at the Bedgebury Pinetum Cycle Centre in Kent. The bikes are hard as nails and the kit on them is very robust. You are very well placed to run a couple of trips to the New Forest...

IMO disc brakes and full suspension are just gimmicks at this end of the price bracket. If you are going for disc brakes, go for hydraulic ones, but I doubt you'll find a bike with them on for less than 600 notes, probably more!! You may find some cable operated ones, but they are pretty poor even when compared to normal mountain bike style brakes.

HTH

Adrian

Guest WALFY

Adrian

Both me and SWMBO have Giant bikes. Both bikes have hydraulic disk brakes went to Evernden Cycles in Paddock Wood, paid 1K for both bikes with helmets thrown in. Very good bikes not that we've used them a lot recently :( .

If buying a new bike go to a decent bike shop. Most will allow you on the bike and they'll give you a test route to have a go on. Have a look at LAST years models. They'll be roughly the same spec but a different colour. So if you can live with being out of fashion then that's the best option as far as I can see.

Had not thought about test riding hire bikes!!

Only asked about the Land Rover ones as i found them by accident.

Have no problem going for last years model, have seen some diamondback, dawes and claud butler ones in that category.

I geuss at the price i am in, its pretty much the bottom of the market.

As others have said, i am reluctant to buy a £500 bike incase it just lives in the shed in 6months too!!

I got a Marin Hawkhill in 2001 and it has been a really good bike. 21 gears, front suspension and aluminium frame and wheels. It doesn't have disc brakes as they cost too much at the time. I have changed the saddle for one that is less hard then granite and got a raised stem for the handlebars. I also put road tyres on it as most of my riding is on paved or well compacted ground. It is also quiter then knobbly tyres on the treadmill for indoor excercise.

It cost £400 at the time and I figured I'd rather pay a bit more for a bike I'd use then a bit less for one I get fed up with. I was offered a test ride of half a dozen bikes in and around my price range to see which I prefered and I also got 5 years free servicing from the dealer.

I would like to get a Windcheater speedy though.

post-6454-1206561172_thumb.png

post-6454-1206565775_thumb.jpg

... went to Evernden Cycles in Paddock Wood...

Snap!! Nice friendly local company who know their stuff.

Had not thought about test riding hire bikes!!

Only asked about the Land Rover ones as i found them by accident.

Have no problem going for last years model, have seen some diamondback, dawes and claud butler ones in that category.

I geuss at the price i am in, its pretty much the bottom of the market.

As others have said, i am reluctant to buy a £500 bike incase it just lives in the shed in 6months too!!

£200 gets you a lot of bike. Don't believe that you are at the bottom of the market - Halfords are knocking out bikes for £80 at the moment - you are about in the middle. Not many people can affort to have thousands of pounds of bikes sat in the garage for 10 months of the year!!!

We have Land Rover Bikes, and we have been really pleased with them. Mine is a Defender Kanaha and Sam's is one of the Discovery models.... we got them from our local bike shop, nothing to do with the badge (honest) tey were the best value at the time - about 3 years ago. Not had any problems with them so far...

Mark

Guest mortus

Being only 16 and having spent most of my recent life riding bikes i think im fairly knowledgeable on them.

if your looking for a good price and good quality, i would recommend a claude butler, they are pretty damn hard to break.

after that you want a GT the build quality is great but they're a little more expensive.

you dont need diskbrakes or rear suspension, dont get fooled by either of them they're a farce.

Guest WALFY

Don't agree with that. Yes you DON'T need disk brakes but they perform perfectly evertime I've neded them to. Wet/dry/muddy no problems and on the road they stop you on a sixpence if you need them to.

If you can afford it, then get a bike with disk brakes, need to be hydraulic though not cable. You've probably spent thousands on your LandRover so why not an extra couple of hundred to get the bike you're after.

we got them from our local bike shop, nothing to do with the badge (honest) tey were the best value at the time - about 3 years ago

Snap! I got mine from your local bike shop too - when they were selling stock off prior to moving premises. :)

My last bike was a cheap one with disc brakes, they were cable operated and were lousy. The rim brakes on the LR bike are vastly superior.

Chris

I am about to sell my bike (due to not using it) I built it up a couple of years ago.

It based on a hand-made Italian frame made by Simple bikes. It's a 16" frame so quite small.

It has Hope hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. Rockshock Pike forks on the front.

Drive Train is a mix of Truvativ, Shimano and SRAM. (Basically picked the good bits from the ranges to suit my pocket and requirements.

It has Halo wheels which are very strong but not heavy.

I'm looking for a bit more than £200 (was thinking about £350 ono).

Bike001.jpg

PM me if your interested. (I am coming down to Horsham the weekend of the 5th of April so could bring it down with me)

HTH

Pete.

Interesting...I've got cable operated discs on my Giant (very good make) and they are awesome!

Corrode - there's a good bike hire place in the middle of brockenhurst - right by the railway crossing. Also, go and have a chat with either GA Cycles in shirley - pretty much the experts around here, or Peter Hargroves cycles is meant to be very good, and Strides out in Totton.

Rear suspension will be a waste of time, and to an extent front suspension as well if you spend a lot of time on road. But many setups are adjustable - so you can make them harder for on road - less energy sapping - and softer for off road. And you can adjust it going along.

I recently got a Carrera kracken from Halfords, mainly because my local bike shop didn't have any cheaper bikes. I've been quite impressed with it.

Ali frame, 27 gears, front suspension (which isn't bad), Sram gears which are good and cable disk brakes. The brakes are grand, if a little noisy in the wet. You can upgrade to hydraulics for about 100 quid per wheel, but I haven't felt the need as yet.

IIRC Carrerra is Halford's own brand - the good quality stuff, wheras Apollo is the cheaper end stuff. Halfords seem to be pretty switched on about their bike stuff - although they sometimes don't have in the bits you need.

Forgot to add Corrode - Portswood cycles (in Portswood funnily enough - behind the Pizza Hut) are very good as well.

One thing I would suggest - go on test ride - play with all gears. My previous MTB - A Dawes IIRC, was geared very much for uphill work and as such required more pedalling when on the flat etc. Also ask about the frames, as a lot of bikes have downhill frames - a lot lower etc, which can make it a pain on some of them for everyday cycling. And ask about the gearsets - am not sure what is 'in' this year, but in the past (and I used to be really into my bikes as well) some of the gearsets that came on some bikes were pathetic and broke really easilly - bit like landie gearboxes?!! :ph34r: It is very easy to have them upgraded.

Budget a bit for mudguards - especially if using around town etc - it's unbelievable the amount of muck that gets thrown up!

If you are after something solid and reliable then look second hand. For £200 you can pick up a bike that is say 7 or 8 years old but was probably top of the range when it was built. My collection of bikes (5 at the moment) is from when I did lots of biking and the oldest is now 15 years. But the build quality of the frame and parts is superb, new cost would have been about £3000!

Most important thing is to find one you are comfortable on and suits your riding style. Some shops will have bikes that have been traded in and these are well worth a look. A 2 year old bike that was originally £500 is going to be better than a new £200. Front suspension is nice if you want to do some trail riding. Full suspension you need to pay a lot more money to get something that will last and still work as well in couple of years time.

HTH

Ed