MOT exempt vehicles

Scotian

Its becuase of the 1500+ euro tax that must be paid on it to register it here. It would take about 2 years for that to pay for its self compared to driving home once a hear to mot it there. And right now I dont have that kind of cash spare.

And besides.I was never talking about converting it into a cherry picker.. I was asking about making it technically class as plant or recovery (just forfilling the form to the word) without making it (as I already said) un suitable for every day use.

Marcus, is that 1500 euro at July 2008 rates when the new RO importation tax rates apply? Cipx2 has the online calculator for new rates which brings RO in line with the EU.

I'm with Mo on this one, it is just too much to spend on a conversion. Then if you have a prang how are you going to explain a recovery vehicle in RO?

4 birth second hand caravans can be sold for 3 times UK market value in RO. I know a couple of guys that go to the UK monthly on business. They buy a cheap caravan in the UK, sell it on return and make a profit on their travel expenses. I have a bid on one now on ebay. If I win it I will tow it with me next week and report back on whether it is worth the hassle.

Cheers,

Paul

My Unimog is MOT exempt. I'm sitting here reading this trying to remember the grounds for its exemption, but can't.

I'll try to dig out some paperwork and have a look - might be another option for you. It doesn't have any specific equipment mounted (cherry picker / recovery gear), just standard.

I'll have a think. Al.

:)

Marcus, is that 1500 euro at July 2008 rates when the new RO importation tax rates apply?........

It isn't official yet. They're at the 3rd version now, issued on March 31st, currently on public debate (sort of). There's an online calculator of this version here.

My Unimog is MOT exempt. I'm sitting here reading this trying to remember the grounds for its exemption, but can't.

I'll try to dig out some paperwork and have a look - might be another option for you. It doesn't have any specific equipment mounted (cherry picker / recovery gear), just standard.

I'll have a think. Al.

Agricultural vehicle???

Well, I'm looking at the V5 and it says: Taxation Class: Historic Vehicle.

It also says: Date of first registration: 16/03/2000.

[it also says: Body type: Saloon !!!] :blink:

[it ALSO says: Colour: Green !!!] - since when was muppet vomit classified as 'Green'?

How do you get a vehicle registered as historic then?

Its also tax free of course, which must relate to the date of manufacture rather than the date of registration, looking at the paperwork.

Al.

P.S. there is a note that says 'The taxation class can only be changed on relicensing. please apply at your nearest DVLA Local Office'.

Wow. I just had a play with the Tax calulator for Registering in Romania and it works out at this.... The 200tdi is not Euro rated is it?

non Euro rated 3750 euros

Euro 1 1200

Euro 2 625

So if I have a euro 2 rated engine in my 90 it will only be 625!!! Does anyone know if a 200tdi can be tweaked to meet Euro 2 standards? or if not what about Euro 1?

Forget about it. Even if you tweak it to Euro 20 it won't help you. All it matters it's the engine code, they look in a table and get the Euro specs from it.

Like I told you before, you have two problems:

1. your engine is retro fitted (and hope they'll accept the paperwork that you have)

2. 200tdi Discos were both Non Euro and Euro 1 and I don't think it will be accepted as Euro 1.

My advice remains the same, go to the local RAR, pay a few quid and find out if they can admit your engine and what Euro is it. Maybe they can't admit your vehicle 'cause of the engine but at least it will clear things up and you'll know which way to go.

Forget about it. Even if you tweak it to Euro 20 it won't help you. All it matters it's the engine code, they look in a table and get the Euro specs from it.

Like I told you before, you have two problems:

1. your engine is retro fitted (and hope they'll accept the paperwork that you have)

2. 200tdi Discos were both Non Euro and Euro 1 and I don't think it will be accepted as Euro 1.

My advice remains the same, go to the local RAR, pay a few quid and find out if they can admit your engine and what Euro is it. Maybe they can't admit your vehicle 'cause of the engine but at least it will clear things up and you'll know which way to go.

Hi Cip,

Do you have access to these engine code tables?

Cheers,

Paul

just had a look in my 200Tdi retor-fit booklet & info sheets, it doesn't give any UK or Euro emissions info, so I suspect it'll be pre Euro 1 as these engines came out in late 1989 for the 1990 model year of Defender & Discovery, probably prior to the Euro emissions being drawn up/released.

just had a look in my 200Tdi retor-fit booklet & info sheets, it doesn't give any UK or Euro emissions info, so I suspect it'll be pre Euro 1 as these engines came out in late 1989 for the 1990 model year of Defender & Discovery, probably prior to the Euro emissions being drawn up/released.

Sounds like it will be expensive to register in RO then. Thanks for looking Ralph. Well my LR has just passed it's MOT and I have re registered will DVLA after being registered with the military in Germany. As part of the registration process I had to hand over £185 for a years road tax! Not paid that for some years, so came as a bit of a shock to my wallet!

Just a quick thought.. What about ambulances, mountain rescue, off road recovery (without anything other than a winch and strops). Do any of those come into an MOT exempt catagory?

You have a long drive ahead of you for that MOT!

Just a quick thought.. What about ambulances, mountain rescue, off road recovery (without anything other than a winch and strops). Do any of those come into an MOT exempt catagory?

Emergency service vehicles have their own class, to be a ambulance the vehicle must be purpose built/comverted to carry a strecher at all times, recently over here the outpatients transport was reclassified as minibuses as they had no permanently installed strecher, so couldn't be classed a a full ambulance, so going on that mountain rescue vehicle if used a a ambulance must have a strecher to comply, fire appliances & police vehicles are different again.

a recovery vehicle to be taxed/mot exempt must have a means of carrying the complete disabled vehicle or one end of it on a speclift, I use my 110 for off-road/rally recovery as it has no permanently car carrying ability it cannot be taxed as a recovery vehicle. not sure how the AA & RAC vans are classed with thier stowable one end lift trailers.

I'm not familiar with the insurance system in UK and it's just a thought: would the insurance companies insure a MOT exempt vehicle for roughly the same amount of money and provide EU coverage, i.e. the green card?

Another option would be to have the car registered in Bulgaria (BG). They don't have the same tax system. The average cost is about 200 euros (for the locals)

You can do that 3 ways:

1. Have a friend in BG or pay a local to formally sell your car to him, register it in his own name, have the equivalent of a power of attorney to use/drive the car.

2. Get BG residency and do it in your name.

3. Open a business/association/whatever in BG in order to be able to register a vehicle on its name.

I'm not familiar with the insurance system in UK and it's just a thought: would the insurance companies insure a MOT exempt vehicle for roughly the same amount of money and provide EU coverage, i.e. the green card?

Another option would be to have the car registered in Bulgaria (BG). They don't have the same tax system. The average cost is about 200 euros (for the locals)

You can do that 3 ways:

1. Have a friend in BG or pay a local to formally sell your car to him, register it in his own name, have the equivalent of a power of attorney to use/drive the car.

2. Get BG residency and do it in your name.

3. Open a business/association/whatever in BG in order to be able to register a vehicle on its name.

Thanks Cip but that sounds like a lot of work. I can't speak for Marcus, but I will wait for the new legislation to be passed and see what duty will be required on a 200Tdi. If it is ridiculous I will continue with a trip back to the UK for an MOT. I think this could be made more palatable if viewed as bit of an adventure with a variation of routes taking in new places in Europe to see. Camping of course to keep the budget down. I didn't win the auction for the caravan, but the purchase of a caravan in the UK to take to RO on the return leg would pay for the trip fuel and MOT.