How big is my back end?

geoffbeaumont

Quick question - can anyone have a quick measure of their Range Rover classic and tell me:

• width of boot (minimum usable floor width)
  • length of boot (tailgate to rear seats, with the seats folded)
  • distance between structural members supporting floor

There is a reason for this...

I have a dead V8 to bring back from Robhybrid's this weekend, hopefully in the back of a fixed rangie - but I don't trust my boot floor that much (not sure I would even if it wasn't rotten), so I need to take a bit of plywood or somesuch to spread the load. Unfortunately the truck's already in Wales and I didn't think to measure up before Rob collected it :huh:

Geoff,

A couple of bits of 4x2 would be plenty to spread the load. Position the bearers over the seatbelt mounts and other strong pints and I'd have thought you'd be fne.

On a safety note, how do you intend to restrain this potential missile? You'll be wanting some extremely strong holding down points in the back.

I'd be more comfortable sticking the engine in a trailer and lashing down well.

Just my 2p.

A couple of bits of 4x2 would be plenty to spread the load. Position the bearers over the seatbelt mounts and other strong pints and I'd have thought you'd be fne.

True, but something big and flat with also help to stop oil drips reaching the carpet (although I might take that out).

On a safety note, how do you intend to restrain this potential missile? You'll be wanting some extremely strong holding down points in the back.

Something that's sadly lacking in a range rover :( Suggestions? Feed the rope through under the tailgate and round the rear cross member? Might do some damage if it gets used, but better than me getting damaged by a flying engine... If it fits with the seat backs up that would at least stop it heading for'ard under braking (doubt it would do much in an impact), but I don't think it will.

I'd be more comfortable sticking the engine in a trailer and lashing down well.

So would I, but even if I can borrow a trailer I've no way of getting it over there (or back if I borrow it in Wales) - the rangie's the only vehicle I have access to that has a tow hitch. Besides, I have a bad track record with trailers...

Edited by geoffbeaumont

Definately take the carpet out - not worth ruining it for the effort it takes.

As for lashing eyes, my only suggestion is to put some ratchet straps through the rear seat belt brackets - 1" wide straps fit - and do them up REALLY tight.

[sucking egg mode on] Believe me, if you do have an "incident", even if it doesn't involve an actual colision, the seat backs wont stop a 200kg engine block from doing as it pleases [/sucking egg]

Good luck!!!

I'd still go the trailer route though.....can't Rob lend you one? :blink:

As for lashing eyes, my only suggestion is to put some ratchet straps through the rear seat belt brackets - 1" wide straps fit - and do them up REALLY tight.

It has occurred to me that as I'm about to rip the old floor out anyway, a little 'modification' would give me access to the chassis cross members. If they aren't strong enough I've got plenty to worry about without the engine...

Need a little care to make sure there were no rub points but that should do the job :)

I'd still go the trailer route though.....can't Rob lend you one? :blink:

Even if he can, it doesn't help with getting the trailer back where it came from...

Geoff,

I'd suggest draining the oil out of it and putting a good bag over the filter just in case you puncture it. (Leave it on though to prevent debris getting on or the threads getting damaged. Rock the engine from side to side to get all traces of collant out of the block.

If you can, get an old pallet to secure the engine to and nail a lump of 3" square timber across it (bit of fence post). The engine can then sit level with the front of the sump resting on the post.

If you are going to have to lift the lump in to the car manually (although I'm sure Rob has a crane?), remove the flywheel and exhaust manifolds to lighten it up a bit.

Buy some decent rachet straps and strap the engine to the pallet so that it is solid. Then once it is in the car, feed a strap under the lower tailgate and secure to the towbar. Do it up through the open top tailgate and rachet the pallet back against the lower tailgate.

Geoff,

without doubt the strongest part of the floor is inbetween the 2 wheel arches. There are 2 support braces that run cross-ways under the floor in this area above the axle. there is no support braces between them and the rear of the boot space. the rear of the boot floor is weaker.

If you can, I would flip the rear seats up and over and use the space they create at the front of the floor area.

you could then use the seat brackets on the c-pillars ( where the seat back clips into ), possibly also manage to loop tie downs around the hinges that the rear seats flip up on on the floor area and lastly also the seat belt brackets in the middle of the floor.

as for width - i think you can certainly use and 85cm bit of wood between the wheel wells and possibly 90cm - possibly even more. if your still not sure, i'll dig out the tape measure tonight.

I have a dead V8 to bring back from Robhybrid's this weekend, hopefully in the back of a fixed rangie - but I don't trust my boot floor that much :huh:

If it's any use, i'll hopefully have sunday a.m. free and i'm partial to a trip into my old stomping ground, as long as your V8 isn't too far above Dolgellau.

Shout my fuel is all i ask.

I think my runabout can manage a V8...

64_1_b.JPG

As long as you lift it in/out!

Drop me a mail if you're stuck.

Dunc

If it's any use, i'll hopefully have sunday a.m. free and i'm partial to a trip into my old stomping ground, as long as your V8 isn't too far above Dolgellau.

Shout my fuel is all i ask.

I think my runabout can manage a V8...

64_1_b.JPG

As long as you lift it in/out!

Drop me a mail if you're stuck.

Dunc

Other side of Wales - Llanfair Caereinion. There's also the small issue of getting it out at my end, as I don't run to a hoist - I'm going to build a ramp and lower it down that, but I intend to take plenty of time about that to make sure it's safe and controlled. Thanks for the offer, though :)

I've done it on my own c/w manifolds and clutch assembly attached... Mind you, it wasn't quite as controlled as I was hoping for :ph34r::rolleyes::D

Then it should be a very easy and controlled slide with a rope on it :D I wasn't planning anything fancy - just a pile of wheels with a board down it - but it should be a lot easier than trying to lift the engine out of the back of the Range Rover. That sounds like a good way to do your back in!

We ran into some small issues and now have two dead engines :(

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that Geoff.

If you need a hand in the future, drop me a line. Help if i can.

Alternatively, if you get the Rangey so you can do your journey to Brum in 2 stints, drop me a line! We're about an hour from Llanfair and similar to Brum.

Dunc

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that Geoff.

If you need a hand in the future, drop me a line. Help if i can.

Um. Small amount of incompetence with an oil pump we didn't need to touch in the first place :(

Alternatively, if you get the Rangey so you can do your journey to Brum in 2 stints, drop me a line! We're about an hour from Llanfair and similar to Brum.

I'm trying to work that one out...your profile says Herefordshire and it's a couple of hours straight from Brum to Llanfair?

I'm trying to work that one out...your profile says Herefordshire and it's a couple of hours straight from Brum to Llanfair?

Yes, but my point was if your Range could struggle here, then have a rest, then struggle on to Brum it might be a goer. I've tackled many a journey i thought i wouldn't make if i had stop off points.

Just a suggestion/offer was all.

Yes, but my point was if your Range could struggle here, then have a rest, then struggle on to Brum it might be a goer. I've tackled many a journey i thought i wouldn't make if i had stop off points.

Just a suggestion/offer was all.

Cheers - but it wouldn't even make it off Rob's ramp under it's own steam... :(

Oh dear, that's really not good.

Might be an idea to transport that spare engine to Brum by installing it in the front of the Rangey

;)

Hopefully it won't come to that...

The 3.9 is out of the truck and the 3.5 in - unfortunately we engaged in a teeny bit of gross incompetence which means we're now going to have to strip the front end of what was a perfectly good engine. It now needs new oil pump gears, new dizzy gear and probably new timing gear as well. Almost certainly still less work than the 3.9 as:

• It's in the truck
  • The rest of the engine is fine (the 3.9 needs stripping to check valves etc. as the timing gear failed while it was running)
  • The 3.9 is due a proper rebuild - 3.5 has only done two thirds of the mileage