Series V8 clutch/flywheel problems

When I did my first V8 series conversion, I am 99.9% certain I used the v8 flywheel that came attached to the engine (From a modified TR7). Certainly the pressure plate that was attached fitted inside the series bellhousing. (It may be that I nicked the flywheel and clutch from Fridge's old 3.9 - any recollections of a missing flywheel Fridge?)

So - I've acquired another flywheel from a V8 with LT95, and of course the series pressure plate doesn't fit.

Does my memory deceive me? Is there a v8 flywheel that will fit a series pressure plate, or one that has a pressure plate that will fit inside a series bellhousing?

If not, then I'm going to have to get this flywheel drilled to take the series pressure plate. Will a series clutch cope with v8 power, or is there another out there?

When I did my first V8 series conversion, I am 99.9% certain I used the v8 flywheel that came attached to the engine (From a modified TR7). Certainly the pressure plate that was attached fitted inside the series bellhousing. (It may be that I nicked the flywheel and clutch from Fridge's old 3.9 - any recollections of a missing flywheel Fridge?)

So - I've acquired another flywheel from a V8 with LT95, and of course the series pressure plate doesn't fit.

Does my memory deceive me? Is there a v8 flywheel that will fit a series pressure plate, or one that has a pressure plate that will fit inside a series bellhousing?

If not, then I'm going to have to get this flywheel drilled to take the series pressure plate. Will a series clutch cope with v8 power, or is there another out there?

Nope

Will need to be drilled and tapped :(

Nige

Er........yes there is actually! HFH is wrong for once!

A car flywheel will fit - eg. one from a rover Sd1. However they are much lighter than a rangie one, so you're better off getting a rangie one drill to suit as it'll be better suited to low speed playing.

Jon

If you use an SD1 flywheel you need a custom clutch release bearing from Milner or whoever sell the conversion these days, it has a longer nose as it's got to push further than standard by about 10mm. Also it will stall easily off-road as the flywheel doesn't have as much, err, flywheel effect :unsure:

If you use a SD1 clutch cover or a early series cover (the one with the triangular centre boss) a standard release bearing will fit. The car flywheel is just over 1 inch thick wheras the rangie flywheel is just over 1.5 inches. As the rangie one is heavier it will speed up and slow down slower so as FridgeFreezer said is better for offroading. Milners have not been doing the conversion kits for a while now.

Fridge - Could do yes, but then I have to faff around trying to find a rangie LT77. I've got a series gearbox hanging around so it would seem silly not to use it! (And a spare when I blow up the first one)

Hmmm... SD1 sounds more familiar - The first conversion I did used an SD1 engine, although it was an auto before it was put into a TR7. I didn't think I swapped the flywheel over, and I'm sure Fridge would have noticed if I nicked his! I remember having problems with the clutch release bearing - used the series one to start with, which didn't work, but found the V8 one fitted.

Might try and find an SD1 flywheel then - I know it will stall easier, but this vehicle isn't going to used off road much.

Fridge - Could do yes, but then I have to faff around trying to find a rangie LT77.

You mean as opposed to faffing around trying to find flywheels, clutches, drilling things, etc... :rolleyes: I bet it'd be a chore finding a rusty range rover, they're rare you know :ph34r:

Would also give you a gearbox that's less likely to grenade with the abuse it's going to get.

My Series 1 V8 has a RRC flywheel and Jag preasure plate. If you use an SD1 flywheel I believe this will fit.

I can look at the original write up of my motor from Hot Car when I get home if it will help?.

When I got my replacement V8 a while ago I threw away the SD1 flywheel, then realised that the engine would have been easier to drive with it.

Con

On road the flywheel has so much enertia that the motor throws it's self forward on each upward gear change.

Pro

Off road

I drove over a log bridge with the logs cross ways on and had to go very slowly. At one point I took my foot off the pedal completely, I sware the vehicle came to a full stop in 1st low then eventualy crawled on at tickover!

Conclusion

Series 1 transfer box, V8 and RRC flywheel off road is awesome. :)

Warning though.

When I changed my engine I used the SD1 exhaust manifold bolts on my Philips conversion bellhousing. When these were tightened up they locked up the RRC flywheel as they were too long.