Could someone please explain how the f..........

Anglo-Frenchman

I'm shortly going to start the replacement of my leaking cooling pipes (see earlier thread) but thought I'd prepare the way by removing the plastic undershield. Well, I'd reckoned without those nice folk at LR who in their wisdom have made it (seemingly) impossible to remove without removing the front steering assembly, front axle ....... what bl#^@dy pain in the rear end.

Am I being especially thick here or is there a simple way to get this piece of cr*p off so that I can actually access the underside of the engine bay? I know that a previous correspondent said he had had to cut it in half to get it out but surely that can't be right?

Those helpful fellows at Haynes state 'remove the front prop-shaft, undo the undershield retaining screws and remove.' what a load of rubbish. The wretched thing snags on about a dozen other things befire getting anywhere near the prop-shaft!

Aaaaaaarrrghhhh!!

Its definately the quickest way to do the complete job by removing the shield by breaking the cover up. I heard that once you have it off it's just as or even more harder to put back in.

I say smash it up to remove, then once off jump up and down on cover to vent fustration :)

If you want to it properly take it down to the dealer and let them stuggle over it, I imagine that infact you could lift the body from the axel to gain some manoverability and then you could slide it out.

Just done another DII same problem with leaky pipe.

Cheers Woff - sounds as though its going to be the merry sound of hacksaw-against-plastic. Incidentally I have a theory that this undershield thing is simply LR's way to hide all the leaks from the sump/transfer box/gearbox etc and pretend that the build quality has improved!

Ged

Cheers Woff - sounds as though its going to be the merry sound of hacksaw-against-plastic. Incidentally I have a theory that this undershield thing is simply LR's way to hide all the leaks from the sump/transfer box/gearbox etc and pretend that the build quality has improved!

Ged

......and there was me thinking I might put one on (I have one spare) - but had no clips or method of attachment - will it help keep water(mud) from spraying up the inside?? If so I might be interested in your clips/screws and how it goes on!!

Am I being especially thick here or is there a simple way to get this piece of cr*p off so that I can actually access the underside of the engine bay? I know that a previous correspondent said he had had to cut it in half to get it out but surely that can't be right?

Those helpful fellows at Haynes state 'remove the front prop-shaft, undo the undershield retaining screws and remove.' what a load of rubbish.

I make no point except to suggest a comparison between Haynes instructions, which you will recall they write as they take the vehicle apart, and the words below, which are borrowed from a D2 Workshop manual. I assume the 'remove soundproofing' steps are optional.

There was only one picture, and as it only showed the obvious ball joint tool in operation, I have deemed it not worth the bandwidth.

Panel - underbelly Repair operation 76.10.50

Remove

1. Raise front of vehicle, support underbody and lower front axle

2. Remove nut securing drag link to drop arm.

3. Using tool LRT-57-036 break taper joint and release drag link from drop arm.

4. Remove nut and bolt securing steering damper to chassis and remove damper.

5. Remove 7 screws securing underbelly panel.

6. Remove underbelly panel.

7. Remove 7 studs securing sound deadening to underbelly panel.

8. Remove sound deadening.

Refit

1. Position sound deadening to underbelly panel and secure with studs.

2. Fit underbelly panel and secure with screws.

3. Position steering damper, fit nut and bolt and tighten to 125 Nm (92 lbf.ft)

4. Fit drag link to drop arm and tighten nut to 80 Nm (59 lbf.ft).

5. Lower front of vehicle.

Thanks all. I have now removed the wretched thing in one piece thus: (by the way, Woff thanks for the flash of inspiration) Jacked front of chassis up as far as I dare to create space above axle - removed front end of front prop shaft - undid panel screws and slid (kicked) it out - re-secured front end of prop (with new ny-locks) - burnt Haynes manual - lowered jack - went to have a bath!

Thanks

• 3 years later...

Hello gents, thought I'd make a quick posting because this thread has been really useful for me today.

I'm working towards removing my steering box to replace the seal. As mentioned, the Haynes manual guidance falls a bit short in this instance. I managed to remove the under shield without doing 4. I did everything else suggested in this thread and supported the chassis member of the drivers side so I could lower the axle on that side. The cover slid out pretty easily, intact and in one piece.

Can imagine dealers discard it so its great to be able to do the job right.

Thanks

Rickspark

Mine went in the wheelie bin :ph34r:

If you are working on these vehicles yourself and/or using them off-road at all, just leave it off. What could be a quick visual inspection to diagnose a fault/leak etc at the side of the road isn't really possible, and a simple "get me home repair" becomes a ball-ache of a job with the cover in place.

It's supposed to help with soundproofing, like the top engine cover which, you've guessed it, I no longer have in place either!