Intermittent rattling noise

Did some trials in the 110 at Chirk on the weekend (its amazing the places you can get a boat like that!), but coming home I had this intermittent rattle from underneath when accelerating..

It seemed to be coming from the transfer box/props area...

Was okay on the motorway at a steady 65-70, only occured when accelerating in all gears.

Is it possible that a stone or something can get inside the handbrake cylinder and start rattling around?

Any advice appreciated :)

I have a rattle around that area, caused by the bar connected to the drop arm (don't know the term for it) rattling against the metal plate/guard bolted to the rear of the front diff. It sounded like it was coming from the gearbox area and was only evident under changing gear and large bumps. As you've just been offroading I'd look there, mine occured after the bar was slightly bent.

I have a rattle around that area, caused by the bar connected to the drop arm (don't know the term for it) rattling against the metal plate/guard bolted to the rear of the front diff. It sounded like it was coming from the gearbox area and was only evident under changing gear and large bumps. As you've just been offroading I'd look there, mine occured after the bar was slightly bent.

Been out in it again today, and it is definitely drivetrain related (i.e. and increase in speed gives an increase in the noise made), it is also most definitely coming form the transfer box brake drum area and is still intermittent...

I have checked the props and UJ's etc, all seem sound.. its a kind of 'Brrrrrrr' noise..

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Sounds a little like dirt or gravel in the drum housing catching on something??!!!

Guest mortus

i had a similar problem like this a month or two ago on my 90, it turned out i had been offroading, and it had pushed my exhaust across and it was just vibrating against my chassis.

dont go pulling out your gearbox before you check that!

anothing thing.. might you have got dirt in the breather hole? is it an auto?

I had a rattle that was in that area and after proding around, i found that the exhaust mount that is on the engine block had broken so i replaced that and it does not rattle anymore. By the way that was on a 200tdi

i had a similar problem like this a month or two ago on my 90, it turned out i had been offroading, and it had pushed my exhaust across and it was just vibrating against my chassis.

dont go pulling out your gearbox before you check that!

anothing thing.. might you have got dirt in the breather hole? is it an auto?

Hey Mortus, no its a manual, but I will check the exhaust thanks!

I refitted the breathers recently (they all come up my snorkel) so its houldnt be that..

I need to get underneath while driving to identify where the noise is coming from, just dont fancy being strapped to the underside of a land rover while driving down the road!

I still think it is something to do with the brake drum on the transfer box though...hmmmm

I still think it is something to do with the brake drum on the transfer box though...hmmmm

You can remove the rear prop and the handbrake drum, stick it in diff lock and drive about for a while and see if the noise disappears.

Or you might see a bunch of crud fall out of the drum when you remove it, which would confirm your suspicions. :D

• 2 weeks later...