Defender seating

Hi, I have a defender 110 "Wolf", and as comfy as it really is to drive "cough!" the seat isn't quite right, I have heard on the grapevine that there is a washer kit that you can get to raise the seat a bit. Unfortunately, no landrover dealer has ever heard of one and they look at me like I have 2 heads. I am sure someone has had the same problem, and hopefully someones had a solution.

I need either details of this modification, or a possible low cost alternative solution.

Not heard of a LR kit to raise the seats, IIRC MUD-UK on 01422 847704 make some box section rails to fit between the seat base and slider rails, these have been advertised in the LR mags recently [LRE Dec 2005 page 84]

or

Low Cost Solutions

make some from hardwood to fit or get some thick wall tube and cut to the required height you want to raise the seat by. :D

Not heard of a LR kit to raise the seats, IIRC MUD-UK on 01422 847704 make some box section rails to fit between the seat base and slider rails, these have been advertised in the LR mags recently [LRE Dec 2005 page 84]

or

Low Cost Solutions

make some from hardwood to fit or get some thick wall tube and cut to the required height you want to raise the seat by. :D

Agree with Western, 2 pieces of box section under each seat with holes drilled through to accept the mounting bolts. Ive used this method to add more strength to my lightweight seat box which is fitted with defender seats. It also gives me another inch or so of height which is nice if u r vertically challenged :D

If u have a B+Q wharehouse nearby they sell short lengths of box that are about the right length to cut in half therefor 1 length per seat and not much wastage, but a metalwork supplier may be cheeper.

Cheers,

Hi,

Or fit a set of old Rangie Seats with the adjustable base. I've got the Mudstuff bulkhead reduction kit in and it gives more room to move the seat back. I then installed Rangie seats out of an old classic. The front bolts line up with the existing Defender ones and it is quite easy to drill new back ones.

I have the base at its lowest setting but then I'm 6' 3". The missus finds them comfy and suitable.

You could go ultra posh and get seat heaters, arm rests etc etc.

It also gives me another inch or so of height which is nice if u r vertically challenged :D

I'm 6 ft, but that wheel on the bonnet gets in the way a bit,

Thanks for the advice everyone, probably think the old Mud UK rails are a bit of a ripoff, but the other advice is great, now just looking into fabricating my own mod.

Thanks

I used a length of 25mm dia steel bar. drilled it through the centre and cut it off to the desired length. approx 30mm raise, makes a world of difference. The seat back becomes much more supportive, I get a much improved view of the world ahead and my aged knees don't ache as much after a long (700 mile) drive.

Edited by oneten110