200tdi or rover v8

kingdong

I should think the rover v8, but they will deliver the torque differently as the v8 is petrol and normally aspirated and the other is diesel and turbo charged, therefore you will also get turbo lag, whereas a v8 is instant in responce. What rover v8 size are you looking at and would it be carb or injection?

Look at it in another way, how much fuel can you afford!

Grem

Hi all

its just that when you here of people converting series landys to v8 or 200tdi you have to be carefull you don't damage the g/box so wounded which engine would suit a series 2a g/box better

cheers gee

A 2a box is arguably (and I don't happen to buy the conevntional wisdom on this) the strongest Series box.

Gremlin has got it. 200 tdi = plenty of power an dtorque and relative economy.

3.5 V8 (the most you can reasonably fit to a Series box) = more power and torque (somewhat higher up th rev band so better for the gearbox) but thirsty and somewhat more complicated to fit.

If you can get a 200tdi for a reasonable price, that would be my 1st choice. On the other hand a 3.5 V8 should be pretty cheap and sounds delicious. FWIW, I think a carbed V8 running composite gaskets is probably marginally kinder to the box than the oil burner because peak torque and HP are higher up the rev band. Peak 200 tdi torque is coming readily through 1st gear. Not good.

A 2a box is arguably (and I don't happen to buy the conevntional wisdom on this) the strongest Series box.

Gremlin has got it. 200 tdi = plenty of power an dtorque and relative economy.

3.5 V8 (the most you can reasonably fit to a Series box) = more power and torque (somewhat higher up th rev band so better for the gearbox) but thirsty and somewhat more complicated to fit.

If you can get a 200tdi for a reasonable price, that would be my 1st choice. On the other hand a 3.5 V8 should be pretty cheap and sounds delicious. FWIW, I think a carbed V8 running composite gaskets is probably marginally kinder to the box than the oil burner because peak torque and HP are higher up the rev band. Peak 200 tdi torque is coming readily through 1st gear. Not good.

yes i have also got a s1 g / box but is too over geared for the 2.25 petrol but wounded if it would suit the 200tdi instead of the s2 g/box

cheers gee

I have gone trough this, the 200 will eventually wreck the g/box, if the gears dont break the bearings will eventually give up. You have to drive it as if you drove on eggs, if you know what i mean. I went to an lt77 after several boxes later. The v8 will do the same eventually, series boxes where not designed to take that power unless driven gently, then they tend to survive. Drive it like you stole it and it will break!

Grem

I ran a 3.5 carb V8 2a 88 that I built , for quite a while, inc towing caravan etc.

The previous comments re longevity are right , if you want it to last you dont accelerate hard in first, and so on.

The V8 will require complete upgrade of braking system in series vehicle

although the V8 gives the WOW factor , the 200tdi would be the better all day everyday usage choice. re trans life, and fuel economy.

If its just a toy for pay and play trailling etc, then the V8 has it. JMHO

I have gone trough this, the 200 will eventually wreck the g/box, if the gears dont break the bearings will eventually give up. You have to drive it as if you drove on eggs, if you know what i mean. I went to an lt77 after several boxes later. The v8 will do the same eventually, series boxes where not designed to take that power unless driven gently, then they tend to survive. Drive it like you stole it and it will break!

Grem

Hi Gremlin

yeh don't whant to with perminant 4 wheel drive. what do you think about the s1 g/box with it being more higher geared than the s2a box?

cheers gee

Hi Gremlin

yeh don't whant to with perminant 4 wheel drive. what do you think about the s1 g/box with it being more higher geared than the s2a box?

cheers gee

Covert the lt230 to 2wd operation, it can be done in several ways, including an off the shelf kit from ashcrofts. I do not reccoment any series box to go with any of the 2 engines, unless you drive like you have a 2 stroke 250cc engine...........

grem

• 2 weeks later...