opinions please

i'm running a 200tdi with a 300tdi turbo its got a td5 intercooler and the pumps been tweaked. i havent touched the exhaust yet but is there anything else you would/could do to get a bit more grunt? i have a mate with a td5 thats been chipped and he's gettin away from me.

i'm running a 200tdi with a 300tdi turbo its got a td5 intercooler and the pumps been tweaked. i havent touched the exhaust yet but is there anything else you would/could do to get a bit more grunt? i have a mate with a td5 thats been chipped and he's gettin away from me.

Put sugar in his tank :ph34r: He won't be getting away then and it'll save ya alot of pennies :lol:

Open your fuel pump more??? Hiclones are pretty good, but they only realy help engine background. Vortex exhaust box, they will give you quite a bit more, and lighten your pocket :huh: Nitrous oxide? :P The thing is, you will have to go big to keep up with a chipped td5. The td5 chipped will have around 160-170bhp. For you to achieve that, realistically you will need a bigger turbo.

HTH

Other factors come into play ................. the overall gearing which not only includes the transfer box ratio, but also the wheel size..............

Also I suspect (know) that the TD5 is producing far more torque than you are...................

Ian

Hiclones are pretty good, but they only realy help engine background. Vortex exhaust box, they will give you quite a bit more, and lighten your pocket :huh:

Really.... I'm yet to see any actual data that confirms either of these products and shows them to be anything other than snake oil.

A straight through exhuast will help (esp. if you go larger than the 2 1/4" standard size.... 2.5 or even 3" will work well)

In reality though...

A tuned td5 will produce anything from 150 - 190 bhp.... and upto about 420Nm of torque....

A tuned Tdi.. with a tweaked pump etc etc - will produce upto about 145 - 155bhp at a max, and I doubt more than about 350Nm (again - max)... so you will always be left behind.

Put another way, my 300Tdi isn't a slouch and is tweaked.... but there is no way it would keep up with a properly tuned Td5 (the one elsewhere on this forum for example - sell the lowered 90 threads)

Ian

hiclones - on another forum 51 pages of discussion, finally some figures found the following (page 42 should you not have time to work through the whole thing):

Well having run my Ninety with two Hiclones fitted for two weeks [and approximately 250miles] now, I can whole heartedly say that I never noticed any difference whatsoever in "driveability" .

Having just returned from the "Unofficial" rolling road dynamometer session, the reason was clear..........

With the Hiclones fitted, two runs were made and the output measured at the wheels

Run 1 - 75.3bhp @ 3918rpm, Torque 158.1lbft @ 2798rpm.

Run 2 - 74.9bhp @ 3784rpm, Torque 155.8lbft @ 2795rpm.

Hiclones were then removed, and approximately 10 minutes later a further two runs were made.

Run 3 - 74.3bhp @ 3855rpm, Torque 154.3lbft @ 2868rpm

Run 4 - 73.0bhp @ 3797rpm, Torque 155.1lbft @ 2884rpm

Comparing the average values for both "sets" of figures, I reckon that the Hiclones gave an increase of 1.4bhp [1.8%] at 25rpm above the standard engine, while the Torque increased by 2.26lbft [1.4%] at 80rpm below standard.

The only drawback as far as I was concerned was the apparent inaccuracy of the tachometer, as the R/R sensor equipment attached to the Alternator, was giving duff readings - due to my knackered Alternator.

The correction factor applied to the tests was 99.8% for the first three runs, at an Environment Temperature of 11.8Deg C. The fourth run had a correction factor of 99.7% with an Environment Temperature of 11.6DegC.

Barometric Pressure for all runs was recorded at 1001mBar.

The Hiclones are now packed away, ready for posting back to Shox Dr and Keeper of Tess, I am not tempted to buy any for mesel [despite the advertising blurb].

For the small [ Nay tiny ] recorded differences in engine output on this test and during t'other "official" test, coupled with my own experience in driving the Ninety having failed to notice any appreciable difference, I cannot say that Hiclones really work .

Should you have some spare time the whole thread is worth a read : here

hiclones - on another forum 51 pages of discussion, finally some figures found the following (page 42 should you not have time to work through the whole thing):

Should you have some spare time the whole thread is worth a read : here

My point exactly.... and in all honesty, I don't think the rolling road used was that accurate (esp. looking at the pictures)

I have read (most of) that post... infact I did reply early on - but then got bored and decided I might just paint a wall in my house, and watch the paint dry instead.

I think I might bring a new product out, that is basically a straw that goes from near the driver, into the air intake.... and when you need some extra power, you simply blow into the tube... should work as well.

Ian

My point exactly.... and in all honesty, I don't think the rolling road used was that accurate (esp. looking at the pictures)

I have read (most of) that post... infact I did reply early on - but then got bored and decided I might just paint a wall in my house, and watch the paint dry instead.

I think I might bring a new product out, that is basically a straw that goes from near the driver, into the air intake.... and when you need some extra power, you simply blow into the tube... should work as well.

Ian

:lol: now that I like (and I'm sure would sell as well ;) )

Throw away the tdi and fit a V8 then you can see if he can keep up with you, at least as far as to the next petrol pump :lol:

Or not...........A simple drag race between a 3.9efi rangie with 31" tyres and a chipped 110 td5 with 32" tyres and it was a complete draw, right from 0-70mph. The only thing was the 110 had a disco t-box from ashcroft.

dont really want to open the pump much more without the egt guage was just wonderin if there is any more i could do seems the answer may be a new exhaust. would love a v8 but the vehicle is used everyday ona 25mile each way trip to work so couldnt stomach the fuel bills. tbh i am delighted with it but its just annoying me when i change gear he just pulls away.