Range Rover Classic fuel leak

MogLite

Well my 3.9 EFI has got this fuel leak.

Symptoms are, doesn't leak when stationary with engine off

Doesn't leak as engine starts and runs

Starts leaking from the tank area about 45 secs after the engine starts

I'm therefore guessing its the return for the EFI where it enters the tank.

I'm kinda hoping I can lift the rear carpet, pop the fuel pump cover and uncover a perished pipe, loose connection, broken fitting.

Is this a common fault ?

Anything else I need to look out for ?

I've sold the car and the geezer wants to collect tomorrow !!

I've got a spare tank and pump, but I don't want to drop the tank if I can help it

Andy,

Sounds more poss like the return pipe connection to the tank, the system runs approx 30+ PSI, so could be just a clip worked loose !

One way to check is to remove the retun pipe from the Engine (after the PRV) and into a bucket, so the reutn pipe is taken out of the equation, if it still leaks then its something else

Nige

Andy,

Sounds more poss like the return pipe connection to the tank, the system runs approx 30+ PSI, so could be just a clip worked loose !

One way to check is to remove the retun pipe from the Engine (after the PRV) and into a bucket, so the reutn pipe is taken out of the equation, if it still leaks then its something else

Nige

Yeah that sounds easy - like your style - as it will be by MagLite tonight.

Thanks

I have seen (on a 200Tdi Disco not a V8 RR but the same fault is still possible) a perforated pipe (due to corrosion) in the tank unit where it comes out the top of the tank, could be that causing a leak, either pressure or return could do it I guess. Just needed a new tank pickup. Accessible through the hole in the floor, if there is one.

The pickup sits in a depression in the top of the tank and all sorts of cr*p builds up around it which if it is salty can cause corrosion. This is assuming the pickup is steel like a Tdi one and not plastic, in which case rust is unlikely :)

You wont like this Andy, but my money is on one of the metal pipes coming out of the pump - from your description I'd agree on the return side. The pipes are fragile and tend to fracture eventually :( .

Hope I am wrong and it's just a loose fitting! :)

Had a 200Tdi do just the same thing. Discos have a hatch in the boot floor for getting to it, not sure RRs do. Nick just cut a hole in the rear floor to get access to his - suggest you do not use an angle grinder for this! :) Once all the sound proofing and carpet are back down your man will not know the difference until he goes deep wading. :)

Halfrauds sell 2-part putty which works quite well for sealing fuel tanks. Make sure it is well degreased first - should take care of that itself - and the putty sets in minutes. Works for diesel so it should be fine in a petrol environment.

Good luck

Chris

Thanks for all the pointers

There was indeed a hatch in the boot floor :)

Stupid previous owner/mechanic had extended the return line by 2" with a joiner and a 2" piece of pipe.

That little 2" piece of pipe had gone porous and was p155ing out fuel.

Taking some of the slack from the return line, gave me ability to join the hose back to the pump - why the hell didn't they do that ?

Muppets